Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Running Two Mounts/Headless PCs remotely

I have, finally, managed to almost complete a new observatory large enough for two mounts. Two mounts, 2 scopes/cams on each.

A warm room attached keeps everything neat and close!

A problem I have is finding a sensible, reliable, way to remote to the mounts - distance a massive 6 feet!

In the warm room is a PC with 3 monitors (one's a Wacom tablet) - two main monitors are supposed to display each of the mounts' output - allowing control through ASCOM/Ciel/Sharpcap/various focusers etc. The Wacom tablet allows me to do some processing during a session.

Each of the mounts has its own miniPC.

Connection through wifi, with router in the obsy.

*********The Issue********

I have tried Windows Remote, but although it generally works OK, it refuses to maintain a steady resolution on the two monitors, often leaving off the taskbar, no scrolling and not good quality display.

Both NoMachine and Anydesk work - however when one mount PC is connected, the other disconnects. A drawback with the 'free' versions.

Can anyone suggest any other remote software that allows active sessions for more than one headless PC at a time?

Otherwise I'll have to install an old laptop and have 2 separate one-to-one systems.

PCs are all Windows 11. (Laptop Windows 8)

I use Teamviewer and have 2 laptops in the obsy.  Indoors l have a 3rd laptop which will show both laptops in the obsy under different tabs.  Just need to flick from one to the other.  

l am not that technical so if l can get it to work it must be pretty straightforward. 

Don’t know anything about headless PCs 

Carole

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

I have had 3 PCs viewable with TeamViewer, but they do occasionally grumble about me only using the free license. They have been quiet on this front recently though. 

Over time I have noted that I frequently spot an issue when monitoring from inside the house which requires me to go outside to the point that I might as well stay out there. Then at some point I set it up for unattended imaging and then leave it alone to run and finish in the early hours. I then take a look the next day to see how successful the run has been, around 80-90% of the sessions are cut short by cloud. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks both - I've tried Teamviewer in the past and found it glitchy.

I'm quietly wondering if I can run Windows Remote and an NoMachine at the same time :D Experimenting costs nothing.....

I have three NUC's in the observatory all on Win 10 pro. In the house I have a NUC, laptop and a tower PC again all on Win 10 pro.

Upstairs I have a WiFi repeater.

I can connect them to each other on a one to one basis using Remote Desktop. That means three paired systems at one go. Connections are stable if I remember to disconnect the Smart Speaker. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

I have three NUC's in the observatory all on Win 10 pro. In the house I have a NUC, laptop and a tower PC again all on Win 10 pro.

Upstairs I have a WiFi repeater.

I can connect them to each other on a one to one basis using Remote Desktop. That means three paired systems at one go. Connections are stable if I remember to disconnect the Smart Speaker. 

Just of interest, where does your data go?

External drives and then to the final processing PC? 

One NUC is connected to an all sky camera and runs Sharpcap. This gives advanced warning of clouds and links to a laptop.

Second NUC in the observatory connects to various sensors such as sky quality, temperature and a camera that looks up along the scope to ensure the dome is tracking properly. this NUC links to a NUC and monitor in the house 

The third NUC runs the imaging camera, focuser, filter wheel, dome and the mount. Software is NINA, C du C, Sharpcap. All the imagining data is captured to the NUC memory and is downloaded next day to a stick. Links to my tower PC

All were purchased used and cost around £90 each. All run off a 12 volt power supply.

IMG_20220831_235057.jpg

Edited by Tomatobro
picture added
  • Like 1