SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

FEB 26TH - AR3590 IS A RECORD BREAKER - 60% AS BIG AS THE CARRINGTON EVENT IN SEPT 1859, AND THE BIGGEST THIS CYCLE.

paulastro

Info below from spaceweather.com today.

20240226_151800.thumb.jpg.79d3fd804398e158eaf16f72d10fa626.jpg

The pics below were taken on Sat 24  before midday and today, 26th, at 1.58pm between rain showers.

All taken with the Seestar S50, single frames and crops.

20240224_121923.jpg.8bfe97163a0daafbdc6824f24b94e377.jpg

20240226_122706.jpg.b59ead5e141a0327c76e3d50d47b5b46.jpg

20240226_151152.jpg.20790a5429b1f6d258362aae1786fe53.jpg

20240226_155053.jpg.d3ce14ffa0511f07899370225cc0d846.jpg

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

• paulastro changed the title to FEB 26TH - AR3590 IS A RECORD BREAKER - 60% AS BIG AS THE CARRINGTON EVENT IN SEPT 1859, AND THE BIGGEST THIS CYCLE.

Thanks for the info and images Paul. I finally managed a reasonable look at this today; pretty amazing but the seeing was very dodgy so detail was limited. I suspect it will be gone by the time it is clear again.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Info below from spaceweather.com today.

The pics below were taken on Sat 24  before midday and today, 26th, at 1.58pm between rain showers.

All taken with the Seestar S50, single frames and crops.

Nice images, thanks for showing
Is NASA or anyone giving area in millionths of the disk ?
I was going to suggest the big one that I saw during the monster 1957 cycle, mind you my eyes were a lot sharper back then.
I dont remember the Carrington one ! :) :) 

Someone on Twitter was asking about the likelihood of being able to see changes within 30 seconds.  They posted 4 images and I converted 3 of them into a GIF animation 

Unclear whether the result is due to actual change over that period, or whether it's just some variation in the image quality 

Original tweet - https://x.com/la_foley/status/1761641449127371194

GHKbj44WkAA2LMH3.gif

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

Someone on Twitter was asking about the likelihood of being able to see changes within 30 seconds.  They posted 4 images and I converted 3 of them into a GIF animation 

Unclear whether the result is due to actual change over that period, or whether it's just some variation in the image quality 

Original tweet - https://x.com/la_foley/status/1761641449127371194

GHKbj44WkAA2LMH3.gif

I would think real change in that time period in white light is unlikely, unless it’s a very fast moving flare visible in white light. I suspect those changes are more likely down to variable seeing conditions.

The most I’ve seen in white light has been by watching granulation cells at high power, and really focusing on one area for around 15 mins, which is about the life of a cell. I did see changes happening then, but it needs excellent seeing.

21 minutes ago, MalcolmP said:

I wish you had not said that, I have one that I ought to get seen to  :(

These are the 5th and 6th I've had off not that bad actually only stinging a bit until I got home and put my feet up. 

55 minutes ago, MalcolmP said:

Nice images, thanks for showing
Is NASA or anyone giving area in millionths of the disk ?
I was going to suggest the big one that I saw during the monster 1957 cycle, mind you my eyes were a lot sharper back then.
I dont remember the Carrington one ! :) :) 

Malcolm

This is from spaceweather.  It shows the number of spots per day and its size each day.

Screenshot_20240226_172933_SpaceWeatherLive.thumb.jpg.0e1eff82440cf48a06efa7eb3bfc2570.jpg

It's more than doubled in size in the last five days by the look of it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Malcolm

This is from spaceweather.  It shows the number of spots per day and its size each day.

Thanks Paul, I looked on SW earlier but missed that page, I'll go back with my glasses on this time :) so I can click on the (?) to see the units - I have a couple of candidates  for my spot of  summer 56 or summer 57 or thereabouts ! (memory is not what it used to be !!)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MalcolmP said:

Thanks Paul, I looked on SW earlier but missed that page, I'll go back with my glasses on this time :) so I can click on the (?) to see the units - I have a couple of candidates  for my spot of  summer 56 or summer 57 or thereabouts ! (memory is not what it used to be !!)

Thanks Malcolm.  I remember a huge spot from the early 70s which I drew and had it published in TA if I remember correctly.  I'll have to track it down to see how big it was.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MalcolmP said:

Dont want to cause alarm, but my lights just dimmed twice in the last 15m !!

I'm being interrupted by haddock & chips ! but I still cant find that page, are we on the same spaceweather site ! like https://www.spaceweather.com

Er, no, sorry.  About to eat, but will try and post a link for you later.

• Like 1

Malcolm. I can't do a link for some reason, it's called SpaceweatherLive which is part of a Belgian group of websites.  One of them is about Solar activity and it goes into far more detail about the solar activity than spaceweather.com  It too has a live stream of the current WL disc plus lots more.

Can I suggest you do a Google search and Im sure it will come up.  Let me know if it doesn't.  Paul

PS Malcolm - just went on Google Play and they have an app !

Edited by paulastro
More info

4 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Malcolm. I can't do a link for some reason, it's called SpaceweatherLive which is part of a Belgian group of websites.  One of them is about Solar activity and it goes into far more detail about the solar activity than soaceweather.com  It too has a live stream of the current WL disc plus lots more.

Can I suggest you do a Google search and Im sure it will come up.  Let me know if it doesn't.  Paul

I  have swlive now, perusing ! Dont spoil your meal, the spot will keep :)

OK , got the required info  "  The area of sunspot groups is expressed in “millionths of a solar hemisphere” (MH) " which is the same as being used back in '56/57 

11Sep'56 there was 2400 and 19Sep'57 2200 I'll post links later  and I have been trying to find @John post/topic where he was asking about records but lost it and my @ing is not working Grrr I' need to reboot since thse power dips ,,,,  

Edited by MalcolmP

OK I'm back, lets try again :

11Sep'56 there was 2400 and 19Sep'57 2200 I'll post links later  and I have been trying to find @John post/topic where he was asking about historical records but lost it 

I was sketching spots by projection with  a home made scope during that cycle but cant remember if it was BSN or ASN (Before or after Sky-at-night :)  ) Looks like it was Sep'56 then. It was much talked about in the media at the time but I dont know how long it held its record !

On 26/02/2024 at 11:35, wookie1965 said:

I had two toenails removed this morning and was told to keep my feet up to aid the healing process so I have not been able to go out with my kit. 

Really cracking pictures. 

Okay, how bad was having them removed?

I also have two, both my big toes that need it done.

But in total honesty, when it comes to teeth, eyes and nails I'm a chicken!