Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 3718, Xterminated

tomato

With the cloud/full moon currently hindering my favourite imaging season, I have been looking through my archive to find photogenic galaxies which would benefit from more integration time, and seeing how they come out after applying the RC X suite of processing tools to them.

NGC 3718 is one such candidate, this 7.6 hrs of 2021 Esprit150/ASI178 LRGB data was rather spoilt by a huge slug of a dust mote just above the galaxy, which with my better handle on using Affinity Photo I have managed to cosmetically remove to a large extent. Definitely one to image again.

Image05.thumb.jpg.31c5101a5027890846f038d44b890bfa.jpg

• Like 15

The group to the right is HCG 56. i too have imaged it with NCG 3718, can it go into my HCG project? I don#t know but with our dearth of clear nights it may have to.

18 minutes ago, DaveS said:

The group to the right is HCG 56. i too have imaged it with NCG 3718, can it go into my HCG project? I don#t know but with our dearth of clear nights it may have to.

Yes, so much to image, so little time...

45 minutes ago, tomato said:

With the cloud/full moon currently hindering my favourite imaging season, I have been looking through my archive to find photogenic galaxies which would benefit from more integration time, and seeing how they come out after applying the RC X suite of processing tools to them.

NGC 3718 is one such candidate, this 7.6 hrs of 2021 Esprit150/ASI178 LRGB data was rather spoilt by a huge slug of a dust mote just above the galaxy, which with my better handle on using Affinity Photo I have managed to cosmetically remove to a large extent. Definitely one to image again.

Image05.thumb.jpg.31c5101a5027890846f038d44b890bfa.jpg

Great result, one I'd like to revisit myself.

I've been doing the same thing in the past month or so since buying those tools.  I've given up on PI several years ago, still hate it but blurx among other things persuaded me to rejoin the dark side.  I also had a friend of mine send me a very simple yet very effective workflow in PI that made it easy enough to use with just a few button pushes.  Then finish in my old Photoshop 

The results have been so good it has sometimes made me doubt them.but they are real, Russ is an absolute genius imo.  I just hope it doesn't eventually make me lazy at gathering my data.

59 minutes ago, tomato said:

I have been looking through my archive to find photogenic galaxies which would benefit from more integration time, and seeing how they come out after applying the RC X suite of processing tools to them.

Great result.  I've been meaning to revisit my own version of this from a few years ago - tighten things up and maybe let better noise reduction make it easier on the eye. The faint tails that curl back look great on the really long / dark sky integrations.

• Thanks 1