NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M63 Sunflower X-suite reprocess.

ollypenrice

A recent thread on the tidal extensions of M63 made me go back to 25 hours of old linear data (TEC140/Atik 460). The problem, of course, is to try to wring the neck of the faint extensions while preserving a decent core. Well, I'm not sure. Opinions welcome!

spacer.png

Olly

• Like 21

Looks good, don't know if it'll be worth pointing the RASA in the vicinity as it'll be small in the FOV, but could possibly be used to blend that faint outer region into the above.

• Like 1

Well I really like it, good detail in the core. 

I had a good image last year with 12 hours and intended to add more this year. Mine was just showing the loop in the north- west but nothing like this. I wondered why there was a cloud visible in my image after only a few hours to the south east, but seeing it here as part of that arm it makes sense and must be illuminated by a star.

This is really a most bizarre galaxy with that level of extensions, the entry in the Cambridge Photographic Atlas of Galaxies  gives an explanation for the lack of distinct spiral arms in the central galaxy, but no mention of these significant extensions. 
I have to wonder how many other galaxies might exhibit these kind of formations if they were given the really deep treatment.

I have a RASA8 with a suitably sized camera to image at 1” per pixel, perhaps I should try and have a go at this rather than just take “pretty pictures”?😉

Of course I really would need some serious dark and cloudless skies for that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Elp said:

Looks good, don't know if it'll be worth pointing the RASA in the vicinity as it'll be small in the FOV, but could possibly be used to blend that faint outer region into the above.

It's on the list. A marriage made in Heaven or a processing task from Hell???

:grin:lly

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, gorann said:

Really nice and quite convincing Olly! I think I believe it even if it look like the galaxy just caught fire!

Göran

:grin: That's the problem. Not enough dynamic range left once the extensions have used up so much of it.

Olly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

It's on the list. A marriage made in Heaven or a processing task from Hell???

:grin:lly

For you sir, I would have thought it'd be childs play.

21 hours ago, Elp said:

For you sir, I would have thought it'd be childs play.

The problem is that the RASA will be OSC and the present image LRGB. The ideal time to combine them is at the linear stage but the L and RGB can't be combined before stretching. Perhaps the OSC could be copied into one luminance and one RGB version and the present L attached to the L version and the RGB to the OSC. These concoctions often sound possible on paper but might give nothing but nonsense in reality!

Olly

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

The problem is that the RASA will be OSC and the present image LRGB. The ideal time to combine them is at the linear stage but the L and RGB can't be combined before stretching. Perhaps the OSC could be copied into one luminance and one RGB version and the present L attached to the L version and the RGB to the OSC. These concoctions often sound possible on paper but might give nothing but nonsense in reality!

Olly

I must be missing something here, but why can't OSC RGB be combined with LRGB at the linear stage? I'm now using an ASI178 mono for Lum and an ASI678c for RGB, previously I was using another ASI178 mono with filters to capture RGB alongside the Lum on the dual rig. In PI I channel extract the RGB OSC stack to produce R, G, and B files, these are registered and stacked with the R, G and B stacks from the mono and filters camera, they are different imaging resolution scales but APP handles them, no problem.  Then the combined RGB stacks are registered and combined with the original lum stack from the mono camera.

Here is an example of just such a combination:

Image08AP.jpg.290c178ec11df859d2a4beb857889684.thumb.jpg.0c674d322e8b46a4bd6c0a2594541c02.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomato said:

I must be missing something here, but why can't OSC RGB be combined with LRGB at the linear stage? I'm now using an ASI178 mono for Lum and an ASI678c for RGB, previously I was using another ASI178 mono with filters to capture RGB alongside the Lum on the dual rig. In PI I channel extract the RGB OSC stack to produce R, G, and B files, these are registered and stacked with the R, G and B stacks from the mono and filters camera, they are different imaging resolution scales but APP handles them, no problem.  Then the combined RGB stacks are registered and combined with the original lum stack from the mono camera.

Here is an example of just such a combination:

Image08AP.jpg.290c178ec11df859d2a4beb857889684.thumb.jpg.0c674d322e8b46a4bd6c0a2594541c02.jpg

This is a very good question and, while I was typing, a little worm in my ear said, 'Have you ever tried it?' I haven't - and that is a very bad reason for not tyring it now!  I don't think I'll try it in Pixinsight because I'd end up in a psychiatric ward but I'll try it for sure. Your image is great. I have this object myself but have never been happy with it.

Olly

• Thanks 1

I was a bit confused with this unless you're stating the old data is only in stretched combined LRGB form. I have in the past imaged RGB only with a DSLR and then combined mono lum afterward in PS as a luminence blend with that layer on top. What it did was tighten up the blurry RGB layer.

Alternatively with the old data if it's still linear could you not split the channels, stack together with the new split RGB data, then recombine into RGB with lum on top? Just waffling ATM as I don't know what data you have at hand.

Edited by Elp

1 hour ago, Elp said:

I was a bit confused with this unless you're stating the old data is only in stretched combined LRGB form. I have in the past imaged RGB only with a DSLR and then combined mono lum afterward in PS as a luminence blend with that layer on top. What it did was tighten up the blurry RGB layer.

Alternatively with the old data if it's still linear could you not split the channels, stack together with the new split RGB data, then recombine into RGB with lum on top? Just waffling ATM as I don't know what data you have at hand.

14 minutes ago, tomato said:

Ah, not so straightforward if you don’t have the original linear stacks.

I do have the linear stacks but have never applied L over RGB at the linear stage because I have always wanted to process them differently, the L for deep stretch and high detail, the RGB for low noise with detail unimportant.

I'll see what happens...

Olly

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

This is a very good question and, while I was typing, a little worm in my ear said, 'Have you ever tried it?' I haven't - and that is a very bad reason for not tyring it now!  I don't think I'll try it in Pixinsight because I'd end up in a psychiatric ward but I'll try it for sure. Your image is great. I have this object myself but have never been happy with it.

Olly

Pixinsight does have a LinLRGB tool in the utilities section, never used it before but its there....

6 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I do have the linear stacks but have never applied L over RGB at the linear stage because I have always wanted to process them differently, the L for deep stretch and high detail, the RGB for low noise with detail unimportant.

I'll see what happens...

Olly

That's also how I do it. Besides the different stretches, that workflow also allows me to locally enhance L without affecting the colour, and vice versa.