Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter only twice since New Year.

mikeDnight

This first sketch was made on 09/01/24 on one of those nights that deteriorates as soon as you set your scope up, almost as if someone is watching and saying "Nope! Youre not going to enjoy yourself!"  Anyhow, I wasn't going to post this sketch as the seeing deteriorated so rapidly I hadn't chance to finish it, and so I shut shop in disgust. 

20240218_113918.thumb.jpg.a32dc905ed4d527cf150e94f74fafec0.jpg

This second sketch was made on 12/02/24 and again the night was not good, with thick eerie cloud, and I had to make the most of looking through suckered holes. 

20240218_113946.thumb.jpg.3fa5bb1810bc02a9e38e006477d47bdc.jpg

• Like 22

1 hour ago, magnahrl said:

I do like your sketches, Mike👍though the nights were not so good. What magnification did you use on the first one?

Magnus A.

Thanks Magnus,

With the first one I used a binoviewer. The night was poor and clouds brought the observation to an end before I'd completed recording all the detail. I used 18mm Ultima eyepieces with a 2X barlow on the binoviewer giving 4X amplification. The magnification was 231X.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Love these, sketches are so cool, too bad I still draw stick men! 😅

The thing I've found about sketching is even if you are awful (like me), you can post a sketch up and it'll get recognised.  The sketching forum on cloudy nights is a great resource and everyone is really friendly and supportive.

• Like 2

My drawing skills aren't there at all these days. They used to be in my teens - don't know what happened.

I posted a drawing of Jupiter a while back. It got some likes but no feedback. I didn't think it was all that good myself though :biggrin: There were some white spots I didn't get right at all.

I've tried, But having to take reading glasses on and of really is a problem for me, especially in the (near) dark!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I sketch very occasionally, usually motivated if the seeing, and the view, is particularly interesting. My results are never in @mikeDnight's league but the process does help me to observe more carefully and note details that I might otherwise miss. So I ought to do it more often just for those returns 🙂

Despite the rather rotten weather we have all been putting up with in the UK there were 2 occasions when I put pencil to paper back in January. I was using my 100mm refractor on both occasions:

jupiter060124.jpg.8e1e38a1dca1e1d9cd8e2df03d75b750.jpgjup150124.jpg.87272ea961527d1ba2927522c0339409.jpg

Edited by John
  • Like 7