NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Who makes telescopes to order any more?

JTEC

With the sad passing of David Lukehurst, who makes telescopes to order any more?  Does anybody know?  I’m aware of the available commercial offerings, including those by, for example, OOUK, that allow minor tweaks to an otherwise standard template. I have some projects in mind that I have neither the facilities nor the capability to pursue and that I would have shared with David had he still been with us. With his passing, have we lost not just a nice and genuine bloke but the last of the truly independent, skilled telescope builders? 

• Like 1

Sadly I think this is true

most but not all of the great British telescope makers have passed away producers of optics has narrowed too what you see is what we say it is .

it’s now all more cheaply produced abroad for the masses bespoke is still available at saville Rowe prices 

we have a greater variety of great telescopes and telescope design’s available today and at very competitive prices but sadly not British made no catalogues to drool over no unit purchase plan now I’m showing my age a young person would say I have no idea what your talking about 

Commercially uk telescope making is on the decline but ATM is on the up and the ingenuity of some of the  groups members is very encouraging  and getting parts made is quite easy but a complete telescope and mount uk made is a very narrow field I’ve gone to barry watts of beacon hill telescopes in the past for hardware but believe he’s semi retired now so everyone’s either retired or died so the golden age of British telescope manufacture like mr lukehusrt has passed into history.

I share your sadness at untimely the loss of David Lukehurst.

One solution is to DIY your dream telescope.  If you’re a DIY sort of person it’s not too difficult to configure Newtonians/Dobsonians to your own design. There’s a vast amount of info on the ‘net.

Making the primary mirror is a step further. If that’s not your thing then maybe patiently waiting for something to come up on the used market, or placing a wanted advert.  Recoating facilities are available in the UK.

I’ve never made a Newtonian mirror, but have constructed and modified them lots of times. Great satisfaction comes from using a scope you made yourself. Dobsonian mounts are basic carpentry projects.

Ed.

Sadly if you are thinking big dobsonians I think there is now a big gap in the uk market. Does anyone know if Beacon Hill Telescopes still operates? Think they did produce some larger stuff in the past.

However, optical sets are easier to come by like Nichol Optical for example. I believe they may have been a supplier for David’s wonderful scopes.

In refactor land, there are still a few options like Moonraker and IR Poyser.

I've just looked at the Moonraker website and must say what beautiful looking scopes they are. I wouldn't mind having one just to look at, almost Steam Punk style.

Sorry to hear about David. He was very good to deal with and made nice scopes. My semi compact DL14 was a pleasure to use and featured on his website for a long time. I sketched the concept so that it would fit in the boot of my car and he did the rest. 

On 12/02/2024 at 20:16, JTEC said:

With the sad passing of David Lukehurst, who makes telescopes to order any more?  Does anybody know?  I’m aware of the available commercial offerings, including those by, for example, OOUK, that allow minor tweaks to an otherwise standard template. I have some projects in mind that I have neither the facilities nor the capability to pursue and that I would have shared with David had he still been with us. With his passing, have we lost not just a nice and genuine bloke but the last of the truly independent, skilled telescope builders? 

What projects do you have in mind?       🙂

• Like 1

Hi Peter, thanks for responding 🙂   I was thinking in terms of a mid size scope - probably a minimalist, ‘collapsible’ Dobsonian of some sort - that I could carry to dark skies on a plane.  David made me a nice 12” f6 scope a few years ago, and I had it in mind to float the idea with him but events, sadly, intervened.  Given the weight limitations, I don’t suppose a 12” would be possible but perhaps a suitably designed 10” might squeeze in. I’d wondered about a bare bones single pole design but, while keeping the weight down is a challenge, perhaps there are better ideas.  

what type of scope are you after, I bought my dob which is made to order but within their specifications. 

Up to 16" with extras such as DSC, Weights, shrouds, bags, counter weight, morror cooling, scondarary heating and others.

On 13/02/2024 at 09:18, DirkSteele said:

Sadly if you are thinking big dobsonians I think there is now a big gap in the uk market. Does anyone know if Beacon Hill Telescopes still operates? Think they did produce some larger stuff in the past.

However, optical sets are easier to come by like Nichol Optical for example. I believe they may have been a supplier for David’s wonderful scopes.

In refactor land, there are still a few options like Moonraker and IR Poyser.

Yeah Beacon Hill still operates, Barry is semi retired but is son carries the business on.

9 hours ago, JTEC said:

Hi Peter, thanks for responding 🙂   I was thinking in terms of a mid size scope - probably a minimalist, ‘collapsible’ Dobsonian of some sort - that I could carry to dark skies on a plane.  David made me a nice 12” f6 scope a few years ago, and I had it in mind to float the idea with him but events, sadly, intervened.  Given the weight limitations, I don’t suppose a 12” would be possible but perhaps a suitably designed 10” might squeeze in. I’d wondered about a bare bones single pole design but, while keeping the weight down is a challenge, perhaps there are better ideas.  

Sumerian Optics in The Netherlands makes 12” and 16” Dobs for exactly this purpose. 

• Like 2

Yes, it is a bit of a sad demise.  We are very lucky to be the custodians of what was at the time, the largest amateur built telescope in the world. This is the JW24 (John Wall 24"), also the inventor of the Crayford focuser. It will be moved from the dome to our reception as a museum piece of some significance.  A new scope to replace it is currently being built by OOUK.

412da3_0b1c9f0d9347427ab4390dd0b56f6b71mv2.jpg.webp.b4cef164b77c3e02817438ef88076584.webp

• Like 5