Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scrapheap ScopeTruck

Stu

This little project has been on my mind for quite a few years, ever since I kept the wheels off my daughter’s buggy when we got rid of it!

I have wanted something to make it easier to use my 16” truss dob and to transport it down to the bottom of the garden without doing my back in!

I made myself a nice, solid work bench during January and sorted out all my tools, so I am much better set up to do projects like this to a higher standard than my usual wood butchery. Whilst this is better than previous stuff I’ve done, I’m learning all the time so it still has its rough points.

It is made largely from off cuts of wood from building my bench, the buggy wheels, and old broom handle and also some aluminium tubes salvaged from old camping chairs!

I have some finishing off to do, plus giving it a couple of coats of protective stain but it is essentially functional now. I just need to get the tyres inflated first which is proving a little tricky but I’m sure I can sort it.

It is large enough to take my 16” either with or without EQ Platform. I will either chock it up on blocks once in situ, or I may add some feet on threaded bar which can be lowered to lift it off the wheels.

The biggest negative so far is that the front wheel pair just roams free rather than being linked to the handle so it is sometimes a little wayward. I’ll try it out a bit and will see if I need a different solution at the front.

So, here it is, the Scrapeheap ScopeTruck 👍

IMG_5896.jpeg

IMG_5898.jpeg

IMG_5897.jpeg

IMG_5901.jpeg

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Nice job @Stu 👍🏻

All you need now is an engine and some orange paint and you’ll soon be spinning your way down Dorset lanes.

This does remind me of my youth. Me and s school friend made a relatively straightforward and standard go-kart. It was fun how it was but his brother (who thought he was a mechanic) decided to pimp-it-up. This included adding the engine from an old Dennis lawnmower. After that it was lethal, especially as the only way of braking was with your feet and it was full power or nothing.

Mind, I do love these projects like @Stu has done. Eg I have a shed of old bits (some from my late father) that I’ve kept for future projects. However, I often can’t find or remember where in my shed I’ve put them :)

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Nice job 🙂

I'll look forward to seeing it in action when the Red Bull Soapbox challenge comes to Somerset 😁

We do have a Soapbox race on New Year’s Day up and down Crewkerne High Street, perhaps I should enter 🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

This does remind me of my youth. Me and s school friend made a relatively straightforward and standard go-kart. It was fun how it was but his brother (who thought he was a mechanic) decided to pimp-it-up. This included adding the engine from an old Dennis lawnmower. After that it was lethal, especially as the only way of braking was with your feet and it was full power or nothing.

Mind, I do love these projects like @Stu has done. Eg I have a shed of old bits (some from my late father) that I’ve kept for future projects. However, I often can’t find or remember where in my shed I’ve put them :)

Don’t get me started; I have an old lawn mower in the shed which still runs but has other problems…….. perhaps…. 🤣

• Like 1

I’ve done a bit more tinkering tonight. I removed the tyres and have ordered four new inner tubes so I can get those sorted.

I’ve also added a length of threaded rod between the handle and the wheel support so that the front wheels now turn with the handle, should make it much easier to control. Pics tomorrow once it is back together again. Will stain it over the weekend if I get the chance.

• Like 2

Well, it works! Not without a few design challenges to be sorted but it is perfectly useable, and takes the 16” no problem. Just the job for a little stargazing…. 😉

The main issues are around the front wheel pair and steering. I should have built a little more clearance into it as they catch on the underside of the truck. Gentle turns are fine, but more extreme manoeuvring is trickier. I will use it as is for now, and think about a Mark II version. Just need some clear sky to point it at Orion before it clears off.

IMG_5932.jpeg

IMG_5933.jpeg

IMG_5934.jpeg

IMG_5935.jpeg

• Like 6

Thats a great use of materials Stu, and ultimately, a fabulous functional scope trolley 👍 its all about getting out there and enjoying the sky, this unit will have you out in seconds

as well as packing back up in the same time while lifting nothing. There is no excuse for just grabbing the biggest of scopes for just 20mins of cloudless window with the aid of a trolley.

Nice work. 🤜🤛

Edited by AstroTUFFTRUK
  • Thanks 1