Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Not really impressed for over 7 hours of Data..☹️

This is my first image with my new 3nm SHO filters, the PAC-Man Nebula, I took 50 x 3 min subs through all 3 filters, 2.5 hours each filter and 7.5 in total,  and after having issue in PI with the stacking and needing to use a pedestal setting in WBPP to get the darks to work properly, I still felt there were issues..🤔

A quick down and dirty process in PI and TBH I am not that impressed for the integration time, would love to see other people’s Pac-Man images with detail to compare…

IMG_2240.jpeg

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 1

Seeing your request I dug out an image of the Pacman Nebula from January 2022 and realised it had not had the BXT and NXT treatment, so I have quickly reprocessed it. It is 346 mins captured with the Esprit 150/QHY268c combination, 139x 2 mins RGB and 17x4 mins with the NBZ dual band filter. A pseudo HST palette was created by making a new blue channel from 40% green and 60% Red with PixelMath, then assigning Red to L and R, Green to B and the new Blue channel to G.  All of this data was captured under a full moon, albeit on the other side of the sky.

You have a lot more blue than me, to be expected with your filters and my full moon, but might I suggest that your data could be slightly black clipped?

Image08.thumb.jpg.2b7ebebc955b0534b114d26001b3c759.jpg

• Like 2

'I took 50 x 3 min subs through all 3 filters, 25 hours each filter and 7.5 in total,'

Sorry but I don't understand this. 50 x 3 minutes is 150 mins or 1.5 hours and, with three filters, this makes 4.5 hours.

Olly

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

typo =  awol decimal point

"through all 3 filters, 25 hours each filter and 7.5 in total,"
should be 2.5 hours each
then it all works out

and 50x3 = 150
150/60=2.5h

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

'I took 50 x 3 min subs through all 3 filters, 25 hours each filter and 7.5 in total,'

Sorry but I don't understand this. 50 x 3 minutes is 150 mins or 1.5 hours and, with three filters, this makes 4.5 hours.

Olly

It was a typo on my part.

but also you say “50 x 3 mins or 1.5 hours, makes  4.5 hours”, but actually  50 x 3 mins is 150 mins which is correct, but 150 mins is actually 2.5 hours, and not 1.5, .so 7.5 in total for 3 filters….

a typo I assume …?? 😉

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tomato said:

Seeing your request I dug out an image of the Pacman Nebula from January 2022 and realised it had not had the BXT and NXT treatment, so I have quickly reprocessed it. It is 346 mins captured with the Esprit 150/QHY268c combination, 139x 2 mins RGB and 17x4 mins with the NBZ dual band filter. A pseudo HST palette was created by making a new blue channel from 40% green and 60% Red with PixelMath, then assigning Red to L and R, Green to B and the new Blue channel to G.  All of this data was captured under a full moon, albeit on the other side of the sky.

You have a lot more blue than me, to be expected with your filters and my full moon, but might I suggest that your data could be slightly black clipped?

Image08.thumb.jpg.2b7ebebc955b0534b114d26001b3c759.jpg

Nice image, and yes I totally agree I think I may have clipped the blacks a bit… thanks 👍🏻

9 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

It was a typo on my part.

but also you say “50 x 3 mins or 1.5 hours, makes  4.5 hours”, but actually  50 x 3 mins is 150 mins which is correct, but 150 mins is actually 2.5 hours, and not 1.5, .so 7.5 in total for 3 filters….

a typo I assume …?? 😉

Senior moment! Sorry.

:grin:lly

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Senior moment! Sorry.

:grin:lly

I thought you were trying to introduce metric hours Olly. Would make life easier🤣

• Haha 3

Anyway, looking at the image again this morning, I think it's fine. Where Tomato's rendition scores is, I think, in having more local contrast in the bright central part of the nebula. This is a product of the stretch, of course. Other than that, I think you've got your 7.5 hours' worth.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, gorann said:

Would make life easier🤣

Apparently not (after reading this thread). (😉 implied)

But back on track; the total integration time needed to achieve a certain quality level depends very much on light pollution, probably more than on equipment or anything else. This makes it very difficult to compare results with others, especially if you don’t know how and where those other images were taken.

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wimvb said:

Apparently not (after reading this thread). (😉 implied)

But back on track; the total integration time needed to achieve a certain quality level depends very much on light pollution, probably more than on equipment or anything else. This makes it very difficult to compare results with others, especially if you don’t know how and where those other images were taken.

I live in bortle 6-7 and is where I image from, bit get where you are coming from….👍🏻

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 1