Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jacoby 1 in Boötes - the faintest PN discovered in the 20th century

gorann

But no match for a RASA if you give it 13 hours. Found in 1993 by G.H. Jacoby and G. van de Steene with the 2.1m Kitt Peak telescope it has been said to be the dimmest planetary nebula discovered in the 20th century. So a perfect challenge for a RASA. The hot blue progenitor star is clearly visible in the center of the PN if you zoom in.

152 x 5 min caught 3rd Feb with my dual RASA8 rig on a Mesu. ASI2600MC cameras and IDAS NBZ dual band (Ha+Oiii) filters. Processed in PI and PS includinbg the XT tools.

Comments most welcome of course.

Cheers, Göran

20240203 Jacoby1 RASA PS9sign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 20

Planetary nebula indeed! On my phone it looks like a low contrast image of Mars with a prominent polar cap 😀 

It's astonishing too see these ultra deep sky objects being fished out by amateur equipment ( and not a little operator skill!).

Well done!

42 minutes ago, tomato said:

Wow, that’s quite  a capture. There is something special about pointing the scope to image something that in the first instance appears invisible. 

Thanks Steve! Yes, it is almost magical what these light buckets can suck in! It was fun to process and not very difficult. The signal was there and clear and not much else around.

23 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Planetary nebula indeed! On my phone it looks like a low contrast image of Mars with a prominent polar cap 😀 

It's astonishing too see these ultra deep sky objects being fished out by amateur equipment ( and not a little operator skill!).

Well done!

Thanks Paul! Yes, if all PNs looked like this one the name would be very fitting!

• Like 1

It's incredible to think that just over 30 years ago, it took equipment that cost orders of magnitude more and a team of professionals to discover the object.  Discovery is obviously much more intensive than re-acquisition but it astonishes me how much more advanced our equipment is now compared to what seems like the recent past. 

A real feather in your cap, that picture.