Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

C9.25 on heq5 pro visual use and planet AP

Hi 

Does anyone use this combination? I'm thinking about a mount I could get that I could use for both an 80ED for dso AP, and for visual use plus planetary AP with a C9.25. I would like to avoid buying an expensive mount like the Az-eq6, as that would be £500 extra and overkill for an 80ED. Any experiences would be most appreciated. 

Thanks 

Mark

Planetary imaging does not require the ultimate in mount stability.  It's nice if the mount does not jitter about when you are trying to focus, but the planetary images I took with a Celestron SE 6/8 mount were often just as good as those taken with a CPC800.

On 04/02/2024 at 14:19, PeterCPC said:

If it's any help, I used my C9.25 quite successfully for AP on my AVX mount. I also use the AVX for AP using 80Ed and Esprit 100 with no problems.

Hi Peter, that is helpful. I guess that the other useful thing is that StarSense can also be used with the celestron mounts. 

On 04/02/2024 at 16:07, Cosmic Geoff said:

Planetary imaging does not require the ultimate in mount stability.  It's nice if the mount does not jitter about when you are trying to focus, but the planetary images I took with a Celestron SE 6/8 mount were often just as good as those taken with a CPC800.

Hi Cosmic Geoff 

Yes, indeed the other option is to go with the mount set up provided for the nexstar evolution, and use that for planetary AP and visual, and get a separate heq5 for the ed80. I've seen tons of good images taken with the ed80 /heq combo. 

14 hours ago, Flame Nebula said:

Hi Peter, that is helpful. I guess that the other useful thing is that StarSense can also be used with the celestron mounts. 

That's true but IMHO it's not worth it.

18 hours ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Yes, I had this set up in the past; C9.25 on an HEQ5.  All that did was make me buy an AZ-EQ6!  It's too heavy for an HEQ5.

Hi, Have you ever compared the view through your C9.25 compared to a 10" dobsonian, with respect to planets? I see mixed reports, some saying the newt is sharper and has better contrast, others saying the best view of jupiter that they've seen was in a C9.25. A long time ago, I had a 9" dob. I couldn't use high mag on it without saturn flying off view! But, many years ago, I had an opportunity to look at saturn through, what I think may have been an 11 inch sct (it was 30 years ago and in Ayers Rock, Australia) and the view of saturn can only be described as superb! Far superior to the 9" dob. Admittedly the latter was in the UK, so seeing likely not as good as the outback! 

12 minutes ago, Flame Nebula said:

Hi, Have you ever compared the view through your C9.25 compared to a 10" dobsonian, with respect to planets? I see mixed reports, some saying the newt is sharper and has better contrast, others saying the best view of jupiter that they've seen was in a C9.25. A long time ago, I had a 9" dob. I couldn't use high mag on it without saturn flying off view! But, many years ago, I had an opportunity to look at saturn through, what I think may have been an 11 inch sct (it was 30 years ago and in Ayers Rock, Australia) and the view of saturn can only be described as superb! Far superior to the 9" dob. Admittedly the latter was in the UK, so seeing likely not as good as the outback! 

Results will depend on the particular instruments and the seeing.  Some people will insist that their favorite instrument type performs best. At one time I had an 8" newtonian and an 8" SCT and contrary to popular wisdom, the SCT performed somewhat better on double stars.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Yes, I had this set up in the past; C9.25 on an HEQ5.  All that did was make me buy an AZ-EQ6!  It's too heavy for an HEQ5.

But not too heavy for the Evolution mount? I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve: visual, planetary imaging, or deep space imaging.

3 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

But not too heavy for the Evolution mount? I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve: visual, planetary imaging, or deep space imaging.

Hi, my plan (if it can be called that), is to be able to do planetary AP and visual with the sct, and dso AP with my existing 80ED, which I bagged for £330 off Ebay a few years ago. If the evolution mount that comes with the scope can suffice, then I 'only' need to get the minimum mount for the 80ed,which I suspect is an heq5. Alternatively, I could go for sct OTA only, and get the Az-eq6, which could actually handle both scopes simultaneously.