Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WL and H-alpha Friday 26 January 2024 with animation.

Dave Smith

@Dave Smith My goodness Dave these images and animation are breath-taking. To think nowadays the general public can afford gear capable of producing solar images as detailed and sophisticated as this!? I sooo cannot wait to get my own solar gear! Just amazing Dave! 

Clear Skies and Kindest Regards, Wes.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

@Dave Smith My goodness Dave these images and animation are breath-taking. To think nowadays the general public can afford gear capable of producing solar images as detailed and sophisticated as this!? I sooo cannot wait to get my own solar gear! Just amazing Dave! 

Clear Skies and Kindest Regards, Wes.

Thanks Wes. Unfortunately the cost of the gear required is rather prohibitive. Maybe with advances in technology the price will come down. It is great fun as the Sun is different every day.

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Smith said:

Thanks Wes. Unfortunately the cost of the gear required is rather prohibitive. Maybe with advances in technology the price will come down. It is great fun as the Sun is different every day.

Dave

@Dave Smith LOL yes sorry Dave I should have qualified my statement regarding the general public being able to "afford" the solar gear necessary for such works! I was just expressing my amazement about the fact that 50, 60, 70 years ago, you needed the financial resources of an entire COUNTRY to be able to afford the equipment needed to produce works even 25% as detailed and impressive as the works produced by amateurs today!! LOL. It's incredible and we're all spoiled rotten with what's available to us today!! 

2 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

@Dave Smith LOL yes sorry Dave I should have qualified my statement regarding the general public being able to "afford" the solar gear necessary for such works! I was just expressing my amazement about the fact that 50, 60, 70 years ago, you needed the financial resources of an entire COUNTRY to be able to afford the equipment needed to produce works even 25% as detailed and impressive as the works produced by amateurs today!! LOL. It's incredible and we're all spoiled rotten with what's available to us today!! 

Agreed. I think that also applies to night time astrophotography.  For many years now amateurs have bettered photos that were taken with the 200 inch Palomar telescope.

Dave

Despite the availability of the vital equipment. Only a handful of imagers repeatedly produce such high quality results as Dave Smith and a few others here. It takes real dedication, patience, endless practise and multiple skills to become one of these few.

Just going out there, when conditions are not ideal, is what separates the great imagers from the rest. This is not a criticism of those who try to emulate these expert imagers. Merely pointing out that mere money will not raise you to the ranks of those who regularly and repeatedly astonish us with their results. 

Astronomical imaging is not like owning a custom or sports car. You can't pay a garage to produce your dream set-up and then bathe in the glory of "your creation." You actually have to do most of the work yourself. Even then, bathing in mist, dew and sudden showers is far more likely.

This is not a criticism of those who want to succeed at imaging. By all means share your results. Then ask for sincere and honest advice on how to improve. Remember that there are often thousands of identical imaging set-ups to those of the real experts. Which never, or rarely go outside. Not after the initial excitement and pride in ownership dies down. Owning the nice kit is only just the beginning. The rest really is up to you.     

• Like 2