Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star Collimation

Hi everyone, 

Apologies for the Newb question, i am new to the hobby and i am trying to collimate my new Celestron Astromaster 130EQ. It came nowhere near in collimation out of the factory, which was rather annoying.

I have been learning about star collimation, i was wondering if anyone has any experience using Jupiter to collimate as opposed to a star, as Jupiter is quite visible at the moment where i live.

Any help is appreciated!

Edited by Neillo

Hi, no, you need a star. You need to be able to see the airy disc and diffraction rings when focussed; then when defocussed you will get the correct image. You won't get that with Jupiter.

Collimation.jpg.350d481c9055b8d48955d96a696526ae.jpg

• Like 4

You can collimate on Jupiter's moons but it is a lot trickier as you need to be able to get an airy disc around it; it requires a planetary camera and the program Metaguide. Similar principle to star collimation as you are looking at the airy disc around. As Michael said, you are better off with a star as you can do it with an eyepiece.

Edited by Kon

You can collimate using Jupiter.  If you slightly defocus you will see a ghost annulus of Jupiter and depending how concentric that annulus is will be a measure of your collimation quality.  It has the advantage of not twinkling like a sar does so helpful during poor seeing.  In good seeing a star is more accurate.     🙂

• Like 4

One thing to bear in mind is that as well as using a star you will need to use high magnification.   I centre (this is important) Polaris in the eyepiece using high (200X) power. I move the focuser slightly in and then out and compare both views. The out of focus views show unbroken, concentric rings.

Edited by Spile
  • Like 1

On 25/01/2024 at 09:25, Neillo said:

am trying to collimate my new Celestron Astromaster 130EQ

Collimating with a cheshire can be tricky as the focuser tube is quite wobbly on that scope. But thats the way you would need to start. Once you have got a decent collimation you could try and improve this by collimating with a star. When collimating with stars, you would need to get higher power eyepieces than the std ones supplied, so that you can easily see the airy disk.

Edited by AstroMuni