Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar Images - 19th Jan 24 with 10" Classical Cassegrain

Roy Foreman

Wow, three night of lunar imaging in a row, and in January no less.  None of the nights have had great visibility, but this was the most cloud free but with the most turbulence. The moon was dancing about all over the show. At 3045mm focal length it was a real hit and miss.

Telescope was a Stella Lyra 10" F/12 Classical Cassegrain on a Skywatcher CQ350 mount.  Love the scope, not too sure about the mount.

Camera - ZWO ASI 183MM 20Mpx with a Proplanet 642 IR filter.

30% of 2000 frames at 19fps.

10 panel mosaic for the whole disc, plus some selective enlargements.

Stacked in AS3 and processed in Photoshop.

Hope they are of interest, and thanks for looking.

2024-01-19 Moon pp642.jpg

2024-01-19 Moon pp642 c1.jpg

2024-01-19 Moon pp642 c2.jpg

2024-01-19 Moon pp642 c3.jpg

2024-01-19 Moon pp642 c4.jpg

2024-01-19 Moon pp642 c5.jpg

• Like 23

Lovely images Roy, amazing given the seeing conditions. Great shot of Hadley Rille in amongst them. Can you post a picture of your setup? Don’t think I’ve seen a 10” CC in the wild before! 

50 minutes ago, Stu said:

Lovely images Roy, amazing given the seeing conditions. Great shot of Hadley Rille in amongst them. Can you post a picture of your setup? Don’t think I’ve seen a 10” CC in the wild before! 

Thanks Stu, and yes the 10" CC is a pretty amazing piece of kit.  There is now a 12" version, but I think the 10" fits a sweet spot of size, weight, and less affected by air cells, which average 10" in size.

Don't have an image of the CC in the observatory as it's too cramped to get a photo with decent perspective, but I have attached an image if it on an EQ6 AZ which I set up just for photo purposes some while ago.

850_1787.jpg

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Really lovely set of images. Great processing too: very sharp, but not overcooked in any way.

Thank you Michael for you kind words. I've recently changed my processing routine to try and achieve a more natural look, and from your observations it seems to have worked. Many thanks.

33 minutes ago, Kon said:

Nice set of images. I like your full mosaic in particular, it is an excellent picture.

Thank you and glad you like them. With 10 panels the mosaic was a pain to put together, but luckily the CC has a nice even, flat field which helped.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roy Foreman said:

Thanks Stu, and yes the 10" CC is a pretty amazing piece of kit.  There is now a 12" version, but I think the 10" fits a sweet spot of size, weight, and less affected by air cells, which average 10" in size.

Don't have an image of the CC in the observatory as it's too cramped to get a photo with decent perspective, but I have attached an image if it on an EQ6 AZ which I set up just for photo purposes some while ago.

850_1787.jpg

Lovely! Quite fancy one of these on the AZ100 for visual 😊

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Barry Fitz-Gerald said:

Yes, remarkable images!   The CC has intrigued me - looks like a perfect lunar telescope, how do you find it? Is collimation a nightmare?

Yes the CC is an excellent lunar and planetary scope. Great for deep sky too with its wide flat field.

I didn't find collimation any more difficult that a Newt ot SCT.

It's only downside is that it is big and heavy.

4 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Nice set of images. Lovely scope!

Thank you and yes the CC is a great scope - virtually covers a full frame sensor with just a 2 mirror system, no correction lenses needed. Looks amazing too.

7 hours ago, Barry Fitz-Gerald said:

I really wish you hadn't said that, I can see that I am going to have a lot of trouble resisting one now.

When I got mine I told my better half that it looked so amazing that I was getting it just to keep indoors to look at. When time came for first light she expressed surprise. I had to explain that you don't spend that kind of money on a scope and not use it. Fortunately its performance is as good as its looks, so you're just gonna have to get one !

• 4 weeks later...