Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Grrr - PC failure

dannybgoode

Well if that isn't very annoying.  I finally got my mojo back enough to do some imaging having been somewhat distracted by learning morse code which has become something of an obsessions!

Anyway, last night I got everything out, dusted down - tested all the bits, got remote access to my mini PC working etc.  All was good.

Tonight, with really nice skies in the offing, I got everything set up and powered it all up.  A couple of connection issues were quickly sorted and then I RDP'd into my mini PC and... the task bar is completely blank, the Windows start button is missing, some of my desktop icons are missing, I can't right click anywhere at all - basically the PC, whilst I can load programs, is unusable.  I have even plugged a monitor in and a mouse and keyboard and even with it all directly connected it is not working.  Double bottoms!

So, no choice but to reinstall Windows and set everything back up however I very much doubt I will get it sorted for tonight.  I may just about get it rebuilt but won't have time for actual imaging.  

• Sad 1

Oddly I find CW really hard to read as I only ever listen to it so it is sound not a visual thing for me.  I['ve got keep at it mate but I cannot work out the last bit.  I will though - I will fix it...

1 hour ago, dannybgoode said:

Well if that isn't very annoying.  I finally got my mojo back enough to do some imaging having been somewhat distracted by learning morse code which has become something of an obsessions!

Anyway, last night I got everything out, dusted down - tested all the bits, got remote access to my mini PC working etc.  All was good.

Tonight, with really nice skies in the offing, I got everything set up and powered it all up.  A couple of connection issues were quickly sorted and then I RDP'd into my mini PC and... the task bar is completely blank, the Windows start button is missing, some of my desktop icons are missing, I can't right click anywhere at all - basically the PC, whilst I can load programs, is unusable.  I have even plugged a monitor in and a mouse and keyboard and even with it all directly connected it is not working.  Double bottoms!

So, no choice but to reinstall Windows and set everything back up however I very much doubt I will get it sorted for tonight.  I may just about get it rebuilt but won't have time for actual imaging.  

Restart File Explorer.  If you Ctrl+Alt+Del, select 'Task Manager' and under the 'Processes' tab, find 'Explorer.exe'.  Right-click and restart it.

Regrettably, a large part of my job is IT support and was all I did until a few months ago so I've seen this quite a few times!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Restart File Explorer.  If you Ctrl+Alt+Del, select 'Task Manager' and under the 'Processes' tab, find 'Explorer.exe'.  Right-click and restart it.

Regrettably, a large part of my job is IT support and was all I did until a few months ago so I've seen this quite a few times!

Sadly that does not work.  I have been dabbling with PC's since the days you had to change jumper settings on motherboards and write config.sys files to avoid IRQ conflicts and I have never seen this behaviour before.  Going to just try a completely fresh installation, could do with it anyway as it will give me chance to properly update all the software etc.  I know there's less drastic ways to do this however a nice clean install can be satisfying :) 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

Oddly I find CW really hard to read as I only ever listen to it so it is sound not a visual thing for me.  I['ve got keep at it mate but I cannot work out the last bit.  I will though - I will fix it...

I 'think' I wrote 'Keep at it mate' but my Morse Code is quite rusty!!

51 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

Sadly that does not work.  I have been dabbling with PC's since the days you had to change jumper settings on motherboards and write config.sys files to avoid IRQ conflicts and I have never seen this behaviour before.  Going to just try a completely fresh installation, could do with it anyway as it will give me chance to properly update all the software etc.  I know there's less drastic ways to do this however a nice clean install can be satisfying :) 

You've reminded me that I have a BBC Micro in the loft.

Clean installs don't take long anyway.  Best of luck!

12 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

You've reminded me that I have a BBC Micro in the loft.

Clean installs don't take long anyway.  Best of luck!

The basics are done. Just wading through installing Ascom. Nina will have to wait until tomorrow as well PHD etc. 

Then to plug everything in and test it all and then hopefully next clear night it'll all actually work :D

• Like 1

Well the good news is the PC is just about re-built and everything is talking to it and each other as it all should - indoors at least and during daylight.  I am pretty convinced it all knows when it is a perfectly dark, clear night :D .  I have also got my little standalone wireless hotspot working so I can take everything out portable should I wish.

So, fingers crossed next clear night it all plays nicely this time!

• Like 2

I keep my telescope outside under a Telegizmos 365 cover, including my mini-PC which I remote desktop to from my laptop indoors. I've found out the hard way that imaging after a long period of time without installing updates results in lost imaging time through reboots etc. 

Before Christmas, I bought myself a TP-link wireless plug which my astro rig is connected to and I've set my mini-PC to power on when receiving mains electric. Now, I don't even have to go outside and remove my cover to power everything up. More importantly, on rainy/cloudy nights, this gives me the opportunity to run software updates (if required), verify everything works, set up imaging sequences, take darks etc.

Before the introduction of this plug (or rather before the introduction of the mini-PC powering on when plugged into power) I would only do these things when it was dry outside and usually on a clear night. Over the past few sessions since then, I find myself having less downtime when doing updates and I'm not rushing with getting an image sequence up and running. If your setup is similar, it may be something to consider! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Richard_ said:

I keep my telescope outside under a Telegizmos 365 cover, including my mini-PC which I remote desktop to from my laptop indoors. I've found out the hard way that imaging after a long period of time without installing updates results in lost imaging time through reboots etc. 

Before Christmas, I bought myself a TP-link wireless plug which my astro rig is connected to and I've set my mini-PC to power on when receiving mains electric. Now, I don't even have to go outside and remove my cover to power everything up. More importantly, on rainy/cloudy nights, this gives me the opportunity to run software updates (if required), verify everything works, set up imaging sequences, take darks etc.

Before the introduction of this plug (or rather before the introduction of the mini-PC powering on when plugged into power) I would only do these things when it was dry outside and usually on a clear night. Over the past few sessions since then, I find myself having less downtime when doing updates and I'm not rushing with getting an image sequence up and running. If your setup is similar, it may be something to consider! 

This was weird as I had updated everything just a couple of days ago specifically so it was ready to go but it looks like Windows got corrupt.

I've love to leave everything outside - I'd get so much more imaging done - however, I strongly suspect my scope would get promptly get stolen...

• Sad 1

The last two W11 pro updates for September have corrupted my mini pc. I had to reinstall everything. The 2nd time I made a disk image once everything was installed.

I've never had it happen to a laptop or desktop. I keep the MINIPC inside except when I'm at star parties or other astro events. I'd love to know why an update can muck everything up,

Anne

17 hours ago, Anne S said:

The last two W11 pro updates for September have corrupted my mini pc. I had to reinstall everything. The 2nd time I made a disk image once everything was installed.

I've never had it happen to a laptop or desktop. I keep the MINIPC inside except when I'm at star parties or other astro events. I'd love to know why an update can muck everything up,

Anne

Interesting - I have never had an issue with an update messing things up even through the Vista era but I did update this mini PC to W11.  It was working fine immediately after the update but this next night it was unusable.  I have gone back to W10 for now and may consider upgrading the whole thing to something with a bit more grunt if my imaging goes to plan otherwise.

• Like 1

From the initial post my thoughts were maybe moisture or dust is the culprit. Unless the hardware is weather sealed to a measurable quality standard theyre not really designed to put up with dust, moisture or temperature extremes.

3 hours ago, Elp said:

From the initial post my thoughts were maybe moisture or dust is the culprit. Unless the hardware is weather sealed to a measurable quality standard theyre not really designed to put up with dust, moisture or temperature extremes.

No this was definitely a software issue.  Moisture etc would not corrupt the OS...

It's a strange occurrence for sure, never ever seen what you've experienced before, normally it recovers from an explorer.exe restart. A memory or hardware issue can corrupt the OS, flash memory isn't the most robust, but most others aren't either.

8 minutes ago, Elp said:

It's a strange occurrence for sure, never ever seen what you've experienced before, normally it recovers from an explorer.exe restart. A memory or hardware issue can corrupt the OS, flash memory isn't the most robust, but most others aren't either.

I have never seen it either and I am one of the few people that got on OK with Vista :D.  I tried it indoors, outdoors, via RDP, different monitors, different resolutions, restarted Explorer.exe, spoke to it a stern voice, closed my eyes and opened them again just in case it was just pretending etc.

So decided to bite the bullet and do the re-install.  At least this way all the drivers, apps and everything else are all up to date.

Vista wasn't too bad, I actually liked how it looked too. These constant OS updates are pointless, they always manage to fumble each launch too but I guess they can point to other hardware manufacturers as to "compatibility issues".

• Like 1

I have been relatively lucky with my current mini PC until the last night I used it a few weeks back... Where it got too cold (or wet from dew?) that the wifi dongle died. Not sure what to do about it now as I could end up just feeding the british weather £5 wifi dongles haha.
Maybe a plastic bag to keep the heat in better? I don't know... I worry anything else around it would block signal.

Your issue I think could be the hard drive experiencing issues, try plugging the drive into another machine and see if the issue persists?

I'm always dubious about keeping the stuff in operation outside, having my batteries in particular exposed to the winter cold (I cover them loosely so they don't dew/condensate). The asiairs always come back inside with me after use.

On 18/01/2024 at 23:29, Skipper Billy said:

-.- . . .--. ....... .- - ....... .. - ....... -- .- - . -.-.-- !! 😀

Well put.

On 19/01/2024 at 00:08, dannybgoode said:

I got the keep at it mate - it is the bit I have quoted I can't work out...

-.-.-- = !

So, really: keep at it mate!!!

Regarding your computer issues, I empathize, having had my fair share of those (atm my old laptop seems bricked). If you're not afraid to use a command shell, I can wholeheartedly recommend you get a Raspberry Pi. I just got the StellarMate OS, but also have Astroberry. Last week I've been learning and configuring StellarMate,  but when I got tired of it, I just switched the micro-SD card and could go imaging with my working astroberry distro. The switch didn't take more than 5 minutes. I did this two nights in a row.