Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mounting 15x70 bins

I've just seen the Celstron Skymaster 15x70's on FLO for a reasonable price, and they look an ideal step up from my 76x700 reflector. I'm considering starting to save up for them. Firstly, is this a good idea?

Secondly, it would appear from the books and articles I have read that this would probably need to be mounted to use it for extended periods. FLO says it comes with tripod adapter included. Would I therefore be able to attach this to the tripod (I know it's not great, but it will serve) from my reflector? It is very much like this one,

almost identical but the screws are a slightly different shape (don't think this will affect it?).

http://www.thetoolboxshop.com/ekmps/shops/adrcomponents/images/45801_reflector_telescope%5Bekm%5D489x280%5Bekm%5D.jpg

Thanks in advance,

James.

The adapter the 15 x 70 bins come with fits to any standard camera tripod but it is plastic so I recommend getting a steel version for more stability eventually.

I do not think it will fit on your tele tripod...just get a camera one on e-bay?

The bins are different from the scope rather than a step up. They provide super views of star clusters, the moon etc but are on 15x so are only for widefield views.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Reading some articles suggests I might want to go for some good 10x50's. Seen Opticron Vega II 10x50's - should be alright hand-held, and I could use deck-chair arms if I need stablity. From what I've read, the 10x50's seem to have an almost better and brighter light grasp than my scope. Convenient as well. For the £65, might get away with a good observing book on top.

Any other suggestions? Or anyone with experience of these binoculars? Any advice would be much appreciated.

James.

Hi James,

I think that you would use the 10x50's more than the 15x70's. It means no dragging out a tripod and setting it up. Some people can hold a 15x braced on chair arms,I can't though.

The 10x50's are great when you just want a quick look between the clouds. In my humble opinion the Opticron would have better quality optics and mechanics.

I was out earlier with my 10x50's just looking at the starfields in Cygnus. It's how I relax :icon_rolleyes:

Good luck with your choice.

Glen.

I am considering getting a monopod to steady my 10x50s. I have used broom handles for this in the past, so I think a monopod would do a good job, and may even steady a 15x binocular suffieiently to allow steady viewing wihtout sacrificing the ability to scan quickly.

I have a pair and very good they are. The tripod adaptor they come with is plastic and is RUBBISH.It will cost about £12 for a good metal one.

I bought a tall tripod on Ebay for £5 which works well but take care to get one that is high enough to allow you to look overhead. I was lucky at that price but have a look.

I have the same 15x70's they are excellent value for the money..

However to get the best out of them you'll need a decent tripod, although I use a monopod most of the time.

also as suggested a metal bino bracket is a must..

Oh..and a garden recliner..:icon_rolleyes:

My favourite kind of astronomy..

HTH

Greg

James, If money is tight(and not wishing to take a sale away from FLO) have a look at the Revelation 15x70's from Telescopehouse.com . They are same binoculars from same factory just produced under telescope house's own revelation brand. Several people I know have a pair(me included) for the price they are excellent and I would not be wthout them.

Cheers

Dave

I have 10x50 and 15x70 binos and use both of them hand-held. I've seen many deep-sky objects with both, and the views are more interesting in the latter, but of course you've got to put up with a wiggly image, particularly at x15, and the larger binos are quite a bit heavier (though, for me, not too heavy). My only real criticism would be the mushiness of the field edge in the 70mm binos. As a result, when sweeping, I keep seeing things at the edge of field that look like DSOs - when they're just fuzzy stars!

I've tried tripod mounting both (with a metal adapter for the 15x70) but it's not for me. Fine for objects low in the sky but for anything higher the eyepieces are at an uncomfortable angle and, just as importantly, too close to the tripod head for comfortable viewing. I've tried a monopod too but personally I prefer the simple approach, even with shakey views.

If you were to mount binos on a telescope you'd find you could look comfortably through one eyepiece (as you would with a finder) but probably not two.

There are various kinds of trapezium mounts available for binos that you put on a photo tripod - they hold the binos in front of your eyes, away from the tripod head. There's also a mirror system that you aim the binos down at for comfortable viewing. And of course image stabilized binos.

As a first pair I'd certainly recommend 10x50s. Lighter, more portable, good field of view, and enough magnification to give interesting views of the larger, brighter DSOs. But if I'm only taking one pair of binos with me for portable deep sky viewing then it's the 15x70s.

Andrew

The supplied plastic adapter is indeed rubbish BUT IS EASY TO TRANSFORM! It is an I-beam section and all you do is cut some bits of steel - old bolts will do - to lie inside the hollow sections of the beam and then fill the hollows with araldite to bond the steel in place. Five minutes.

Interestingly when a guest saw mine he laughed and said 'That's exactly what I did!'

Works a treat. I know of no better bargain in the whole of astronomy than those Revelation 15x70s. They're a delight.

Olly

Thanks for all the help guys.

It's not so far that money is tight, it's that I am not out of high school yet so it's not like I'm on any sort of consistent income - £80 is a big spend for me!

The Revelations look like great value for money - almost too good - but then the optics look fantastic. Where's the catch?

If these are as good as they look for the money - I'll start saving now - or would I better off starting with the opticron 10x50?

Sorry to pester, just want to make sure I get the best for my money.

James.

If the Revelations are anything like my 15x70s (and they probably are) then the "catch" is that the image away from the centre of field isn't as flat and crisp as you'd get with more expensive binos - but I find mine great for deep-sky viewing.

If you have other interests (eg bird or nature watching) the 10x50s are a better all-rounder. But for astronomy the 15x70s are a good investment.

Andrew

Any binocular can be hand held to view the sky but their capabilities will be significantly enhanced by using them on a suitable mount. Not only is this far more comfortable, image shake is eliminated and the binoculars remain in a fixed position when referring to notes or charts. Having used a variety of binoculars, a mount becomes pretty essential above x10 magnification unless you intend to simply scan the night sky.

A camera tripod can be readily used as a mount with a suitable adapter available from most photographic shops. This solution although simple does limit observing near the zenith – the best part of the sky to observe – as it is extremely difficult to reach the eyepieces with the binoculars pointing overhead.

By far the most comfortable of all binocular mounts, a mirror mount ) uses an optically flat first surface mirror to provide views of the night sky. This means that the eyepieces are held at a comfortable and fixed angle while the mirror is tilted. It does require some practice to relearn starhopping techniques as the view through the binoculars is inverted and a large mirror is prone to dew without some form of heating.

Combing the mirror mount with an office chair provides a truly comfortable way of exploring the night sky. The whole sky can be observed without the need to stand up or look away from the eyepieces.

I have 10x50 and 15x70 binos and use both of them hand-held.

Crazy, you lose loads of light grasp & resolution that way ... and with a tripod mount you can leave the bins pointed at an object whilst you consult a chart, or even nip off to the loo, it takes several minutes for the object to drift out of the field.

IMO all bins need a mount when used for astronomy, certainly all those 8x and up.

Why not try a Parallelogram Mount (P-mount).

Binocular Mount

I made one similar to this using aluminium (made one from oak to start with, but found it too heavy).

God knows, if I can make one, anyone can :icon_rolleyes:

In my experience, it's the just best way to surf the night sky..just add a recliner and you'll leave the normal tripod mounting dead in the water.

Tony

James,

(This is only my opinion!).

Using binoculars to view the heavens.

There appears to be two schools (excuse pun!) of thought.

1. Either low magnification - 7x50, 8x40, 8x56. These magnifications have

advantages in providing a binocular which is light in weight, usually giving a

brighter and wider field of view. They can be hand held steadily for upwards

of 30mins viewing. Smaller binoculars are the ideal "grab and go" instrument.

They can be used to have a quick scan around the night sky - and the wider

field of view binoculars can give very satisfying views of the starfields.

These binoculars can also be used for terrestrial viewing, and because they are

lightweight and smaller bodied, can be easily carried. The disadvantage is that

you will not get much of a view of the Moon and Planets. Finally, the smaller

magnification binoculars a generally a bit less pricey than bigger ones.

2. High powered binoculars. 10x50, 12x60, 20x60, 15x70 etc. These will give you

quite spectacular views of the Moon, some comets, and even deep sky objects.

But not of the stars (as they are so far away that even the most powerful

telescope whill not show them as anything more than pinpoints of light). There

are disadvantages:- Bigger magnification means a "dimmer" and narrower field

of view, (unless you go for a binocular with a large objective lens). The

binoculars will be heavier, and more difficult to hold steady for more than a few

minutes at a time. They will probably need a tripod. Once a binocular is mounted

on a tripod, you do lose the "grab and go" advantage of owning a pair binoculars,

and are bordering on a telescope set up.

In my opinion (and I stress again, it is only my opinion) the best binoculars for astronomical use are the smaller magification models - and especially those which will give as wide a field of view as possible (whilst retaining "crispness" across as much of their field of view as possible). Sizes such as 7x50, 8x40 are ideal. They are lightweight, fairly compact, and are true "grab and go" instruments. A binocular such as these can be used to great effect to supplement an Astronomical Telescope, by helping you to find your way around the sky more easily, and find things to point your

telescope at.

Like many SGL memebers, I have owned several pairs of binoculars over the years - the largest being a pair of Russian 20x60's, (which had to be tripod mounted), and the smallest, a pair of ex army "Kershaw" 6x30's. I have now got three pairs. A cheap pair of 8x30's (which I allow the grandchildren to use!), a second hand pair of Opticron SRGA 8x42's, (which I bought from a car boot sale for £55), and a brand new pair of Opticron "Aspheric" 8x40's which cost £69.

I did a review on the Opticrons on SGL and found that there was little difference in the excellent optical performance of both of these binoculars - the SRGA 8x42's having a marginally (but hardly noticeable) brighter view, but the "Aspherics" having the slight advantage of the distinct wider field of view at 8.6 degrees. (against the 6.3 of the SRGA's), and the cheaper price!

Consequently, I would recommend the "Aspheric" 8x40's as an excellent "grab and go" instument. They give very bright and sharp views of the stars, are nice to hold and light to carry. I believe First Light Sell these at £65.00. (They also sell the SRGA's, but at a much higher price!). For the money, the "Aspherics" represent excellent value.

Best wishes on whatever binocular you choose.

Regards,

philsail1

James,

There appears to be two schools (excuse pun!) of thought.

Hmmm... don't talk to me about schools. :)

I think my purpose in buying was really to use it instead of the scope, rather than as an aid to it. The scope I got when I was 11 as a present and only recently started using it. To be honest, it's a bit of a toy and despite the box's claims it's hard to push it past 60x, optics arn't good even at it's lowest magnification. This is why I was really leaning towards a high arpeture pair.

The revelations with tripod £70 on telescopehouse seem too good a deal to miss, mount and tripod doesn't look great but it can be replaced eventually. Also at the price, I can afford Stargazing with Binoculars (which I've heard is good) and a decent pocket star atlas, instead of printing my own all the time. So that's what I think I'll be saving for. Sorry to FLO, but think, if I enjoy these I'll probably be back for something bigger in a few years. ;)

Thanks for all the advice, guys, I have considered it all quite carefully, even if I have gone against it. Just wish I had a bigger budget, but even if I had a wheelbarrow of £20 notes I'd want a bigger budget- think that's the way our heads work.

James. :icon_rolleyes:

James,

Well, it's good that you seem quite sure of what you are looking for in a binocular.

And you are right in that the "evelation" 15x70's on a tripod too, are indeed too good an offer to miss!

best wishes - and clear skies,

philsail1

Archived