Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rosette

Rodd

I finally was able to get get this to stand up to Bin1.  The palette is pale by design. Bumping bup saturation invariably cuases problems.  Instaed of making the data look like what I want, I made it look like what it can handle.  I posted two versions-teh second has a bit more sharpening--too much?

TOA 130 with .99s flattener and ASI 1600. About 24 hours

zzz2.thumb.jpg.f144f380922f67f46bfbdba105c0c033.jpg

A bit more fine scale sharpening

zzz3.thumb.jpg.333e20fce2e242e158e4437bbb5a8e5b.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 24

Superb result @Rodd  It's the detail and subtle colour variation that's worth viewing full size.  

17 hours ago, Rodd said:

a bit more sharpening--too much?

In isolation, I didn't think so.  When comparing side by side, full size with the first one - perhaps.  Certainly not in an OTT, detrimental way though 👍

21 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Superb result @Rodd  It's the detail and subtle colour variation that's worth viewing full size.  

In isolation, I didn't think so.  When comparing side by side, full size with the first one - perhaps.  Certainly not in an OTT, detrimental way though 👍

That’s what I was thinking as well. 

Nice image Rodd

I agree, the first one has a slightly more natural look to it but the second one isn’t overcooked and if that was the only one you had posted I wouldn’t have criticised it for being too sharp

I also love the muted colour, I’ve noticed over the years Astro photos have become brighter and more saturated to the point where they become more like a painting than a photographic record, that’s just my opinion fwiw

Thanks for sharing 

Bryan 

19 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Really sweet. Maybe the first one for me?

Olly

Thanks, Olly. I kind of suspected you would lean toward the first. “Leave 10% on the table” (or was it 5%?).  

4 minutes ago, assouptro said:

Nice image Rodd

I agree, the first one has a slightly more natural look to it but the second one isn’t overcooked and if that was the only one you had posted I wouldn’t have criticised it for being too sharp

I also love the muted colour, I’ve noticed over the years Astro photos have become brighter and more saturated to the point where they become more like a painting than a photographic record, that’s just my opinion fwiw

Thanks for sharing 

Bryan 

Thanks, Bryan. I agree, saturation and brightness are often quite high. I am guilty of this often.  “Painting” is an apt descriptor. Or in my case, “cartoon”.  Maybe I am finally learning. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, gorann said:

Great images both of them Rodd! As already said the second one does not give any impression of being overcooked, so I have hard to chose.

Thanks Goran. 

• Like 1