Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42 sketch

MZack

First sketch of the season of M42 in Orion. 8 inch classical Cassegrain x135 including use of filters. Pastels on black paper. Malcolm, Chigwell Essex

IMG_1354.jpeg

Edited by MZack
Provided namne and location
  • Like 16

7 hours ago, Fraunhoffer said:

Super.

I really am going to have to try black paper.

Do you use a selection of pastels, or mainly one? Im assuming the stars are with a pen? 

Hi

Thanks for the comment

I used two pastels for this one. Both from Derwent.  Aluminium Grey and Aluminium White.  The grey was built up slowly by adding light layers, spreading it about using either my finger tip or a blending stump.  I then added white on top to capture the brighter structure.  I used the tip of the white pastel pencil for the stars.  That can be a problem as its difficult to get a round shape with pastel. Took a couple of goes to avoid smearing.  I may try a harder tipped material next time as it may be easier to get a more star like result.  I try to avoid pens as once its done, its done!

• Thanks 1