Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Geminids are coming!!

andrew63

As last night progressed it got steadily better, around midnight now the 15th, I saw a lovely fireball heading for Pegasus in the west. It was a very bright green flash with trail, a startling sight, one of the best I've seen for a while - hope someone got a capture of it. I got a few good images from the night with my iPhone. The first over Orion, was quite a bright one -  perhaps mag. -2

Bright Geminid 15 Dec.JPG

Geminid meteor 15 Dec. copy.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, andrew63 said:

As last night progressed it got steadily better, around midnight now the 15th, I saw a lovely fireball heading for Pegasus in the west. It was a very bright green flash with trail, a startling sight, one of the best I've seen for a while - hope someone got a capture of it. I got a few good images from the night with my iPhone. The first over Orion, was quite a bright one -  perhaps mag. -2

Bright Geminid 15 Dec.JPG

Geminid meteor 15 Dec. copy.jpeg

Great photos. How did you set up the camera?

15 minutes ago, John_D said:

Great photos. How did you set up the camera?

I mount my phone on a tripod, leave it for a few hours taking frames while I'm also out observing and check later to see if it's picked up anything. Sometimes it's taken an image of what I've also viewed, which is nice. And of course it's only viewing a small area with a 26mm lens so it misses some really nice ones I see! The app I use for this is called NightCap

https://www.nightcapcamera.com

• Thanks 1

Friday 15th Dec 23.30GMT

I've been outside for 45mins , it's fairly clear Taurus and M45 easily visible. 

I haven't seen one meteor ,I didn't expect to see many , I thought there may of been about 5 per hour...

Edited by scotty1

16 hours ago, scotty1 said:

What camera is that ELP?  

The legendary Sony A7S, don't think there's any other consumer camera range out there that can do anything like this. I wouldn't recommend them for AP though, they have issues, stick to Canon for AP.

• Like 1