Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aurora 1-12-23 from Delabole, North Cornwall

Hi

Well here it is my try at capturing the Aurora event on Friday 1st December 2023 around 10pm. 

Saw the alerts and starting to build up so doubly wrapped up and hot footed up to the best North facing spot in the village. 

As soon as I set the dslr and tripod down and took a few test shots, it then started to begin it's show for me. I finished up around 11.15pm as my fingers were falling off. Though I took a few cheeky shots of Orion rising above the field hedge. The 85% moon didn't help. 

Captured using my Canon 600D and Samyang 14mm f2.8.

Sky 5 sec at 1600iso. Foreground 60 sec at 800iso. 

Processed in Photoshop. Timelapse created just with jpegs in Windows Timelapse creator. Worth turning your device to landscape orientation and click 😊

Lee 

Aurora 1-12-23 8 bit-01.jpeg

Edited by AstroNebulee
Addition
  • Like 19

2 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

Awesome, Lee. Very nicely captured. Quite an event!!

2 hours ago, LaurenceT said:

Superb Lee.

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

Good capture from so far south 👍

Thank you all, its very kind of you. I was in bed at 9.30pm and looked at aurorawatch app and coukd make out some orange coming on the map and numbers picking up. As it was clear skies, Friday night plus not suitable for getting the imaging rig out with moon, I gambled and went 800m up the end of the village into a field. Now 2 Auroras in 1 year for me, hoping for more to come as solar maximum next year I think. 

No apod or anything but no clouds this time. 

Lee 

• Like 2

Nice job Lee, snd 2 in a year even further south than me is great going 👏

We had clear skies on Friday right up until just before the Aurora alert came in. It totally misted over and didn’t clear all night and all day Saturday ☹️

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

Nice job Lee, snd 2 in a year even further south than me is great going 👏

We had clear skies on Friday right up until just before the Aurora alert came in. It totally misted over and didn’t clear all night and all day Saturday ☹️

Thank you soo much. That is typical that the timing of the mist coincided with the start of the Auroa for you, I'm sorry to hear that. It does sound like Delabole weather that. I'm sure you'll get a chance at the Aurora next time, good luck. 

Lee

• Like 1

Fantastic, Lee. Lovely colour.   I have seen the Aurora from Cornwall but nowhere near as good as that. More of an indistinct glow. Rather annoyingly I was out imaging on Friday night in Cornwall a few miles up the coast from you. I never thought to look North. There are trees obscuring the northern horizon, but a short walk up a track and I’d have probably seen it.   It was bloomin’ cold though. -4° I measured at one point. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Fantastic, Lee. Lovely colour.   I have seen the Aurora from Cornwall but nowhere near as good as that. More of an indistinct glow. Rather annoyingly I was out imaging on Friday night in Cornwall a few miles up the coast from you. I never thought to look North. There are trees obscuring the northern horizon, but a short walk up a track and I’d have probably seen it.   It was bloomin’ cold though. -4° I measured at one point. 

A thank you. I think if I had a 24mm samyang it would of got more details in the rays (one for the wish list). I was going to image that night but the moon put me off so I'm glad it did as I wouldn't of got this one. I ogoe you had a good imaging session not far up the road from me and I agree it was chuffing well freezing. 

37 minutes ago, mcrowle said:

Wonderfully captured, Lee! Looks like you have an ideal low Northern horizon at that spot.

Regards, Mike.

Thank you Mike. It's the best spot in the village to view north, hardly any LP and a few mins walk up the street for me. 

Lee 

38 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

A thank you. I think if I had a 24mm samyang it would have got more details in the rays (one for the wish list). I was going to image that night but the moon put me off so I'm glad it did as I wouldn't have got this one. I ogoe you had a good imaging session not far up the road from me and I agree it was chuffing well freezing. 

Always more to buy, eh? :)  I did have a good night looking through the data. I have yet to process it all. It was an all nighter on the flaming star nebula.   Fortunately I was confident it wouldn’t rain, so I got a few hours sleep too.  I was trying out my new dual band filter which hopefully reduced the affect of the bright moon. We’ll see. 

• Like 1

On 04/12/2023 at 13:12, Ouroboros said:

Always more to buy, eh? :)  I did have a good night looking through the data. I have yet to process it all. It was an all nighter on the flaming star nebula.   Fortunately I was confident it wouldn’t rain, so I got a few hours sleep too.  I was trying out my new dual band filter which hopefully reduced the affect of the bright moon. We’ll see. 

Sounds like you're going to have an amazing image of the flaming star nebula. Looking forward to seeing it 😊

Lee 

• Like 1