SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter - 1 Dec 2023

geoflewis

10 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

its a magnificent image, the processing looks very good to me. A nice balance between maintaining a natural looking image and a good level of detail. 

Thanks Pete, that's what I keep striving for....

15 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Thanks Pete, that's what I keep striving for....

It is not an easy thing to achieve, every time i think i am happy with a final result i am unhappy the next time i look at it. The image i have just posted is prime example of this. 

• Like 1

Following feedback from @Space Cowboy and discussion with @Kon I took a look at Damian Peach's processing of Jupiter from his redcent trip to La Palma. You can see an example on his website here.

I decided to reprocess both the original image in this thread, plus my image from 25 Nov 2023, with a view to trying to match Damian's colour palette and if possible obtain a similar balance of detail and smoothness. Of course I can't match the detailed capture from a mountain top in the canaries using a 0.5m scope, but I tried my best.

2023-11-25-2144_6-GDL-WJ-RGB-LD65_AS(DP-Col)_IA_AFP.jpg.e175009045ead5756548139cc522f111.jpg2023-12-01-2109_6-GDL-WJ-RGB-LD65_AS(DP-lessHF)_IA_AFP.jpg.4fb79000df7f98258c911700465aed7d.jpg

The colour palette is quite different to what I usually produce, but hopefully is similar to Damian's and other's that I have seen published. I am interested to hear what folks think about these latest versions please.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Following feedback from @Space Cowboy and discussion with @Kon I took a look at Damian Peach's processing of Jupiter from his redcent trip to La Palma. You can see an example on his website here.

I decided to reprocess both the original image in this thread, plus my image from 25 Nov 2023, with a view to trying to match Damian's colour palette and if possible obtain a similar balance of detail and smoothness. Of course I can't match the detailed capture from a mountain top in the canaries using a 0.5m scope, but I tried my best.

The colour palette is quite different to what I usually produce, but hopefully is similar to Damian's and other's that I have seen published. I am interested to hear what folks think about these latest versions please.

They are looking excellent. I need to find the time to try the Geof approach on my captures 😉. Smooth and still a lot of details.

I suppose you can ask 'Santa' for a 0.5m telescope at the Canaries...I hear it's warm in the winter so it's a win win deal 😄.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kon said:

They are looking excellent. I need to find the time to try the Geof approach on my captures 😉. Smooth and still a lot of details.

I suppose you can ask 'Santa' for a 0.5m telescope at the Canaries...I hear it's warm in the winter so it's a win win deal 😄.

Thanks Kostas, I could ask 'she who must be obeyed', but I might not live to report the answer.....😱

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Great, so for longtitude use +ve numbers if west of Greenwich, -ve numbers if east of Greenwich. For latitude, northern hemisphere is +ve, southern hemisphere id -ve.

Thanks. I'm West of Greenwich so that's +ve for both. Now I know. By the way I've been using my newly downloaded Firecapture all day with the dummy cam and I'm really impressed with it. I'll be using it from now on despite just buying a years licence for Sharpcap. The questions will get much fewer as I progress (I promise 🤞).

24 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Thanks. I'm West of Greenwich so that's +ve for both. Now I know. By the way I've been using my newly downloaded Firecapture all day with the dummy cam and I'm really impressed with it. I'll be using it from now on despite just buying a years licence for Sharpcap. The questions will get much fewer as I progress (I promise 🤞).

I think SharpCap is very good, I bought it last year for something else, but I'm long in the tooth with FireCapture for planetary imaging, so see no reason to change that habit. That said, I have seen reports of SharpCap having an excellent live stacking focus aid, so maybe.....🤔

• Like 1

On 03/12/2023 at 19:30, geoflewis said:

Great, so for longtitude use +ve numbers if west of Greenwich, -ve numbers if east of Greenwich. For latitude, northern hemisphere is +ve, southern hemisphere id -ve.

Are you sure about +be being west of Greenwich? The map says the opposite as does my GPS app. I don’t know what difference this would make if any. It’s my OCD sorry.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Are you sure about +be being west of Greenwich? The map says the opposite as does my GPS app. I don’t know what difference this would make if any. It’s my OCD sorry.

No, I wrote that wrong. As you state east of Greenwich is +ve, west is -ve. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

• Like 1

On 04/12/2023 at 12:46, geoflewis said:

2023-11-25-2144_6-GDL-WJ-RGB-LD65_AS(DP-Col)_IA_AFP.jpg.e175009045ead5756548139cc522f111.jpg2023-12-01-2109_6-GDL-WJ-RGB-LD65_AS(DP-lessHF)_IA_AFP.jpg.4fb79000df7f98258c911700465aed7d.jpg

Holy smokes!! 👀These are classic, Geof. I could look at these all night! Ready to be published ;)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, orion25 said:

Holy smokes!! 👀These are classic, Geof. I could look at these all night! Ready to be published ;)

Thanks Reggie, however, I wasn't happy with the colour balance so after several attempts settled on the version that I posted on this separate thread...

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 1