Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AstroLandscapes #56 - The Church on the Water

After a two month hiatus due to bad weather and other commitments - which included missing that amazing 2-night aurora display over the UK - I managed to get out for a night at Rutland Water, in the East Midlands.  I'd wanted to visit a pretty church that sits right on the shore of the lake, which was saved from destruction when Rutland was flooded in the 1970s. It was awesome to be out under the stars after so long! 

On the way I stumbled across a striking abandoned windmill standing defiantly in a field outside the village of South Luffenham, so I stopped on the way back to capture an image there too.

If you're interested, I produced a video journal of the night - you can find the link at the bottom.  

Feedback always welcome!  Thanks! 😊

The Church on the Water

20231115RutlandRift.thumb.jpg.51ec1cb634cb27484519bdea98c2824c.jpg

📷 Canon 6D (astro-modded) with Samyang 14mm f/2.8 lens

🔧 Sky: 13x 120s tracked exposures at ISO400 at f/2.8. Foreground: Blend of 30s and 120s exposures at ISO800 at f2.8

🎞️ Sky stacked in Sequator. Edited and assembled in Photoshop

Landmark

20231115SouthLuffenhamWindmill.thumb.jpg.0eb432f3bba830ed6293f372696e7593.jpg

📷 Canon 6D (astro-modified) and Samyang 14mm f/2.8 lens

🔧 Sky: 13x120s tracked exposures at ISO800 f/2.8. Foreground: 1x60s exposure at ISO1600

🎞️ Sky stacked in Sequator. Edited and assembled in PhotoShop.

Normanton Plough

NormantonPlough-2.thumb.jpg.1fcb4cad6d640c38dbbf38ee31c0492e.jpg

📷 Canon 6D and Samyang 14mm f/2.8 lens

🔧 Sky: 20s exposure at ISO1600 f/2.8 with Kase Starglow filter. Foreground: 0s exposure at ISO1600

🎞️ Sky stacked in Sequator. Edited and assembled in PhotoShop.

• Like 19

15 minutes ago, carastro said:

You do some fabulous landscapes. 

Thank you - really appreciate that (I can assure you my deep sky stuff is frustrating and terrible!! 🤣)

3 minutes ago, glafnazur said:

Superb images Paul. 

Thank you. 😊

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AstroNebulee said:

Absolutely Paul, breathtaking scenery. So pleased to see you've been enjoying some clear skies. 

Would love to see a processing workflow video or some tips videos on how you just get beautiful images. 

Lee 

Thanks Lee - really appreciate the encouragement. I always feel there are so many better people out there for processing; a video from me would be full of mild swearing as I mess up the mask AGAIN, some haphazard experimentation and the occasional exclamation of “oh **** I didn’t hit save!!”. 🤣

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

Thanks Lee - really appreciate the encouragement. I always feel there are so many better people out there for processing; a video from me would be full of mild swearing as I mess up the mask AGAIN, some haphazard experimentation and the occasional exclamation of “oh **** I didn’t hit save!!”. 🤣

Just like me then Paul 😂, except with a poorer image from me. 

Don't put yourself down, there's a lot to be learnt from your workflow and not just new swear words😂

Clear skies 

Lee

• Haha 1

I always like how your nightscapes look so natural, great job!

15 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

I always feel there are so many better people out there for processing; a video from me would be full of mild swearing as I mess up the mask AGAIN, some haphazard experimentation and the occasional exclamation of “oh **** I didn’t hit save!!”. 🤣

Teaching processing like that and comedy? I'd watch it 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1