NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Achievement unlocked: Astigmatism

badhex

Hello all,

Finally went to the opticians today to have an eye test, which confirmed my suspicions that I have developed mild astigmatism - 0.5 in my left (dominant) eye.

To be honest I was already prepared for this outcome and given the extensive reading I'd done on the topic plus what I was seeing at the eyepiece, but I obviously didn't want to self diagnose. I was looking back through my posts and it seems that it appeared around the middle of last year (@Louis D remember our conversations about the 40mm Lacerta ED? Probably the first point at which it showed up). 

Pretty annoying, but can hopefully be fixed with a Televue Dioptrx, which is compatible with quite a few of my EPs; was hoping to save up for the Svbony 8-3mm zoom but I guess it'll have to wait (even though it's on offer right now!). In comparison a Dioptrx is not an exciting purchase but if it fixes my eye I'll be happy.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, badhex said:

Finally went to the opticians today to have an eye test, which confirmed my suspicions that I have developed mild astigmatism - 0.5 in my left (dominant) eye.

Your astigmatism while looking in an eyepiece might not be quite the same as that measured by an optometrist as part of a normal eye test.  That said, these differences only usually get noticeable at more severe levels than your 0.5 - so a 0.5 dioptrx will probably be fine.

19 minutes ago, badhex said:

was hoping to save up for the Svbony 8-3mm zoom but I guess it'll have to wait

The smaller the exit pupil the less astigmatism shows up.  In the 3-8 zoom the exit pupil will be small and I don't think your astigmatism will be noticed.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, globular said:

Your astigmatism while looking in an eyepiece might not be quite the same as that measured by an optometrist as part of a normal eye test.  That said, these differences only usually get noticeable at more severe levels than your 0.5 - so a 0.5 dioptrx will probably be fine.
The smaller the exit pupil the less astigmatism shows up.  In the 3-8 zoom the exit pupil will be small and I don't think your astigmatism will be noticed.

Cheers, yes we discussed that briefly in the eye exam - they were very thorough and they understood the astronomy challenges I was describing, which was great. I'm going to get the dioptrx at 0.5 and see how I get on - fingers crossed.

RE the zoom - thankfully in line with all the research and observing experiments I did,  I only start to see astigmatism at larger exit pupils so should be fine with the zoom - though I meant I'd have to wait until my wallet will allow another purchases!

Edited by badhex

1 minute ago, globular said:

Ah, yes. Shame we can't adjust our eyesight to see more money appear in our wallets. 🙃

Indeed. "Doctor, no I don't need glasses to correct my double vision. In fact, can you make it quadruple vision?"

• Haha 1

I have developed astigmatism but only found a problem with astronomy last year (0.75 diopter). It’s most obvious when using my 8 x 50 finder. I can see it in wide field EPs, but it’s much less obvious. I bought a Dioptrx but hardly ever use as I simply avoid v wide exit pupils.

• Like 1