Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Messier marathon

IB20

As I finally bagged M1 last night, I’m going to see how long it takes me to do all 110 from my back yard (B6-7). Maybe in numerical order but that might drive me crackers!

Any that can’t be reached or that aren’t visible will be noted and skipped over until I’m in darker/or a more Southerly location. M2 should be gettable tonight so I’ll update as and when I bag it.

Wish me luck! 😅

M1 10/11/2023 - a hard to see diffuse, grey smudge (scope 200P at 69x)

• Like 8

Good luck! Especially with the confusing galaxies in Virgo.

I find some on his list are surprisingly faint and I wonder how Messier managed to see them with his equipment.

And no I haven't done them all! Excellent target to go for though. 

• Like 1

I am wishing you luck IB20. I have observed the 110 Ms and I can offer just a small bit of advice. 
Be careful about planning. As an example I wizzed through the easier ones at a time the hardest were visible. When it can to the tough ones (very southern) I was in winter!

M68 became my personal Messier Nemesis. I hovered at 109/110 for nearly two years due to lack of opportunities, weather and suchlike. I finally managed it but it felt more like relief not triumph and that’s not how I thought it would be.

Well done on M1 by the way. My diary for first observation describes it as a small puff of grey smoke.

Marvin

• Like 3

Good luck, in B6/7 you will need a bit.  But bagging M1 is a good omen.
I have 9 left to find, all of them southerly, a problem with my home observing spot.

8 hours ago, IB20 said:

a hard to see diffuse, grey smudge

You will be able to re-use that description for quite a few 😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Well that’s M2 in the bag. Globs are always a very easy spot. Only took the 15x bins out at an easy grab north of Sadalsuud. Whilst in the area I thought I’d get M15 too, save me waiting. A much brighter core than M2 and I’d bet it looks better in a big scope too!

Will post in order as it’ll save my brain cells but will record it elsewhere.

M2 11/11/23 - an easily detectable globular cluster (15x70 binoculars). 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IB20 said:

Well that’s M2 in the bag. Globs are always a very easy spot. Only took the 15x bins out at an easy grab north of Sadalsuud. Whilst in the area I thought I’d get M15 too, save me waiting. A much brighter core than M2 and I’d bet it looks better in a big scope too!

Will post in order as it’ll save my brain cells but will record it elsewhere.

M2 11/11/23 - an easily detectable globular cluster (15x70 binoculars). 

M68 is a Globular. You are going to find that your second sentence might come back to bite you.

Take note of #Zermelo. His remaining handful are all southern targets just like me at the end and I could have avoided that situation from my Latitude with a little planning.

Good luck Zermelo. Which 9 are left to observe?

Marv

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

M68 is a Globular. You are going to find that your second sentence might come back to bite you.

Take note of #Zermelo. His remaining handful are all southern targets just like me at the end and I could have avoided that situation from my Latitude with a little planning.

Marv

Yeah I should maybe rephrase as I’ve tried for M4 before and it’s a real tough one that I’m yet to bag. I’m fairly sure I won’t see the nebulous target from my current location.

Just to be sure, I am not trying to discourage you. Messiers go get them when you can.

We have a kind of opposites thing going on. I got 75% with a 130 newt and finished with a 150 newt under B3/4 skies.

You have a bit more aperture but more light pollution, which will be an interesting comparison so keep us informed.

Marv

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

In order of R.A. :

79, 68, 83, 6, 7, 69, 70, 54, 55

I need another visit to a site with a good southern horizon, or to move house, whichever comes first.

• Like 2

When I first started astronomy and found out about the Messier list I downloaded a bunch of star charts from free star charts.com.

I laminated them and placed them in a plastic ring folder so I could use it during the dew heavy nights. The first pages with photos and technical info were very helpful.

MarvIMG_2392.thumb.jpeg.16ca767bd2860774fde7a731cca8cdec.jpegIMG_2394.thumb.jpeg.e097d697eb172dfd7e7077b7b86e79f9.jpegIMG_2393.thumb.jpeg.61bcf52413342da6b7fb80d432882fab.jpeg

• Like 3

On 11/11/2023 at 15:14, GordonD said:

I find some on his list are surprisingly faint and I wonder how Messier managed to see them with his equipment. 

There was a lot less light pollution back then. He was probably in the equivalent of Bortle 2.

Just now, Marvin Jenkins said:

That’s perfect. A space for your own notes. I added a few paper labels with dates of observation. Nice to have a memento and I prefer yours.

Marv

If I can remember where I printed it from I will post a link! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

It’s so nice to see your notes. First picture taken M13. 

Yes! Although I didn't post it up here because people might point and laugh compared to some of the amazing shots that get posted. I am proud of it though. 

Also, well done for being able to read by abominable handwriting! 

Edited by Bugdozer
Extra comment

7 minutes ago, Bugdozer said:

Yes! Although I didn't post it up here because people might point and laugh compared to some of the amazing shots that get posted. I am proud of it though. 

Also, well done for being able to read by abominable handwriting! 

Your own pictures are yours and as such are for you to determine quality and importance.

I have a single shot of the Crab M1. It won’t win an award but it is mine on a nights observing I will never forget as it is simply the night I took my first picture of the Crab.

Marvin

• Like 2

I will challenge you. I will post my first M1 then you can chuck in your M13. 

You will have to give me a little time as it on my office pc but I will do my best as quick as possible.

My M1 was a Nikon D3100, unguided on a 150pds mounted on an EQ5 goto. No filters, no software, just a single exposure.

Marvin

On 11/11/2023 at 08:58, IB20 said:

As I finally bagged M1 last night, I’m going to see how long it takes me to do all 110 from my back yard (B6-7). Maybe in numerical order but that might drive me crackers!

Any that can’t be reached or that aren’t visible will be noted and skipped over until I’m in darker/or a more Southerly location. M2 should be gettable tonight so I’ll update as and when I bag it.

Wish me luck! 😅

M1 10/11/2023 - a hard to see diffuse, grey smudge (scope 200P at 69x)

Good luck! I travelled to the AstroFarm in France and (from memory) saw 102 on the night, missing out on M30, M72 and M73, plus a couple in Sagittarius that were hidden by branches from the adjoining fields. I struggled to get the two in Corvus too, but was a superb night. I've since got them all by travelling to Greece. Having a list of targets certainly helps you improve your visual stargzing as some of the targets, in my experience are in the skies for a short period of time before they become too low down...M79 is only above the trees at Seething for a month or so. 

Harvard Pennington's book is a super guide if you can find a copy.

Chris

• Like 2

On 11/11/2023 at 17:38, Marvin Jenkins said:

I am wishing you luck IB20. I have observed the 110 Ms and I can offer just a small bit of advice. 
Be careful about planning. As an example I wizzed through the easier ones at a time the hardest were visible. When it can to the tough ones (very southern) I was in winter!

M68 became my personal Messier Nemesis. I hovered at 109/110 for nearly two years due to lack of opportunities, weather and suchlike. I finally managed it but it felt more like relief not triumph and that’s not how I thought it would be.

Well done on M1 by the way. My diary for first observation describes it as a small puff of grey smoke.

Marvin

M68 was the 1st one that I could not find, it "should" have been easy as it's underneath the bright star in Corvus. Missed it on the night, but two night later afrer much cussing and cursing with binos and my 76mm Tak, I found it...M83 was so low down in the murk, it took me a another night of searching just toi find it!

• Like 4