Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter GRS & Europa transit Oct 27-28th 2023

Space Cowboy

Gave it a go last night despite the forecast being less than exciting but showing a wiff of clearish sky. Seeing was not the best but there were moments of detail. Here is a quick 3 image preview. Got nearly 30 captures from 22.22 ut to 23.41 ut.

Pleased considering how bad its been this year . 10" Dob & QHY585c :

reg2023-10-27-2222_6-SJG-L-Jup_lapl5_ap32.png

2023-10-27-2303_7-SJG-L-Jup_lapl5_ap32_WS2.png analy.png

reg2023-10-27-2341_7-SJG-L-Jup_lapl5_ap32.png

• Like 15

20 minutes ago, Kon said:

I see you got your clear sky. Nice set of images. It will be interesting to see if you do a derotation.

The animation is excellent and it really gives it a 3d feeling to it.

Thank Kostas I'm pleased and pretty surprised how well things went as the evening started off with rain and I wasn't expecting anything.  Jupiter has grown so much since I last saw it and even in wobbly seeing much easier to focus. The animation as you say shows a different dimention with more constructed detail. Just need to process it some more. Wavesharp is starting to impress me more too.

Many hours of processing ahead unless something better crops up but I'm not holding my breath looking at the forecast.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Thank Kostas I'm pleased and pretty surprised how well things went as the evening started off with rain and I wasn't expecting anything.  Jupiter has grown so much since I last saw it and even in wobbly seeing much easier to focus. The animation as you say shows a different dimention with more constructed detail. Just need to process it some more. Wavesharp is starting to impress me more too.

Many hours of processing ahead unless something better crops up but I'm not holding my breath looking at the forecast.

I had the same feeling that it's a lot easier to focus now it's larger. We just need that excellent night. Give Astrosurface a try. Geof @geoflewis has been impressed. I will message you a screenshot of my initial settings to try when I am back from the holiday.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Kon said:

I had the same feeling that it's a lot easier to focus now it's larger. We just need that excellent night. Give Astrosurface a try. Geof @geoflewis has been impressed. I will message you a screenshot of my initial settings to try when I am back from the holiday.

It will be interesting to see what AS settings you use Kostas thanks. Ive tried it on ocassions as I know Neil is a fan but haven't yet seen anything greatly different than registax. Its the batch processing and animation capability that has attracted me to waveharp.

Thanks fellas! Think sometimes I focus too much on the imperfections. I do find the original quite mesmerising in a way I've not seen before on my animations. Maybe it's the way the field rotation has orientated Jupiter. I'm amazed how consistent the images are considering seeing wasn't good and trans was hazy.