NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR Astro-Mod A Total Game Changer!!

wesdon1

Hi all. So last night I managed my first ever session with my newly modded Canon EOS 600D DSLR camera, and I literally could not believe my eyes when I saw the first 3 minute sub!! I was also using the Optolong L-Enhance Filter. The difference that the modification to camera made was astounding. I have been doing astrophotography for just over 1 year with a normal unmodded DSLR and I never realised just how much of the red Ha data that an unmodded DSLR was blocking until i got it modded. If there is ONE THING I would advise any newbie to imaging, it's GET YOUR DSLR camera astro-modded asap! I only managed just under 1 hour total integration, but I estimate i'd have needed about 3 hours data to gather the same amount of Ha signal with my unmodded camera!? Plus the contrast between the Ha and the background night sky is massively improved, and alongside the L-Enhance filter, it just makes your data sooo much cleaner and easier to process in post!

Obviously my post processing leaves a lot to be desired still, but i'm just buzzing with excitement about what's possible with my new setup!!

*Canon DSLR astro-modded

*SW HEQ5 Pro mount

*Optolong L-Enhance Filter

*Altair Lightwave 66/400ED Refractor

*ZWO ASI 120MM for guiding with PHD2

*48 minutes total integration ( clouds...again! lol )

*Lights - 16 x 180sec

*Flats - 15 x 9sec

*Bias - 15 x 1/4000th sec

*No darks ( difficult to match sensor temperature with DSLR cameras )

*I wasn't sure which image to post on here. They're both exact same image, just slightly different post processing. I will obviously get better with processing with more experience )

North america nebula.2.png

Autosave001 copy.png

• Like 14

14 minutes ago, Ags said:

The default IR filter in a DSLR cuts about 75% of the Ha light. 

@Ags yes I had obviously read and been told about how much Ha light/red colours the unmodded DSLR's cut out but it wasn't until i actually used my modified camera that it really struck me just how much ha it's been blocking! I was amazed!

7 minutes ago, Albir phil said:

Your imaging as suddenly been given a shot in the arm with the modification,as was mine when I had my DSLR modded 😳

@Albir phil Thanks phil. yes it's massively improved my camera mate. When I get better at processing i'll start producing really nice images hopefully!

1 minute ago, wesdon1 said:

@Albir phil Thanks phil. yes it's massively improved my camera mate. When I get better at processing i'll start producing really nice images hopefully!

Yes it's the processing that the hard part, I used to look at my images and say that's not as good as another person's, now I look at them and think yes that will do for me.If you're happy with it that's all that matters.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Albir phil said:

Yes it's the processing that the hard part, I used to look at my images and say that's not as good as another person's, now I look at them and think yes that will do for me.If you're happy with it that's all that matters.

@Albir phil Thanks Phil, that's a very good point. It's not helpful constantly comparing myself to other much more experienced imagers, it just makes me not appreciate my own progress. Thanks mate.

30 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

@Albir phil Thanks Phil, that's a very good point. It's not helpful constantly comparing myself to other much more experienced imagers, it just makes me not appreciate my own progress. Thanks mate.

Yes no mileage in comparing just be happy with YOUR images good luck get some images with that new toy 🤗🤗

• Thanks 1

Couldn't agree more, and nice effort!

I'd read about it, but never appreciated the difference it would make. I waited about a year until I got a modded DSLR and......like you......I was blown away! Then I added the l'enhance filter...wow even more! Enjoy it, it makes a world of difference.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/10/2023 at 13:28, WolfieGlos said:

Couldn't agree more, and nice effort!

I'd read about it, but never appreciated the difference it would make. I waited about a year until I got a modded DSLR and......like you......I was blown away! Then I added the l'enhance filter...wow even more! Enjoy it, it makes a world of difference.

@WolfieGlos Hi Chris! So sorry for late reply, I've not managed to get on here for a few days.

Yes like you i never truly appreciated what a difference the astro-mod would make, despite reading tons about it on here and other places online. Plus just like you I waited around 1 full year before taking the plunge, so to speak! And yes the L-Enhance filter is awesome, I love mine and have a lot of works planned with it in the coming months! 

Thanks Chris!

Clear Skies! 

Wes

15 minutes ago, callisto said:

Great, that's good to hear :thumbsup: 

Do you know if Juan (CheapAstronomy) is still doing mods to cameras?

Was googling him but got no results 🤔

@callisto Tbh Callisto i actually tried Juan ( CheapAstronomy ) but couldn't find him myself? That's when i looked into astronomiser, contacted him, and got it sorted through him. Maybe Juan isn't doing them no more? I honestly don't know mate?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, carastro said:

I had mine modded by Astronomiser some 13 years ago.  Good to know he still does it.  

@carastro Yes he's still going, and he did a perfect job on my DSLR Caroline. His service was also really cheap, just £95 with return postage included, I can't find fault with the guy. I'm planning on getting another DSLR camera modified so I always have a back up camera!

Wes.

• Like 2

On 01/11/2023 at 21:46, Albir phil said:

I bought mine from Astronomiser already moddifed ,and he is very helpful if you need advise.

Yes I almost bought a ready modded DSLR camera from Astronomiser myself, but in the end I couldn't justify owning 3 DSLR cameras, so I opted for modding one of my existing DSLR's and was super happy with the results! 

Wes

Wes, I'm curious if you allow, what made you decide to mod one of your existing DSLRs for astrophotography instead of buying a ready-modded camera from Astronomer? For example, I was dreaming of new high-performance and expensive gadgets and decided to search out for an additional income. Now I research and find more info about checked bonuses with no scam for additional ways of getting money. This is the way I am getting closer and closer to the desired amount of money. It helps me every time I want to play, have fun, and earn money. Good luck!

Edited by Kianna
  • Like 1

On 01/11/2023 at 15:21, carastro said:

I had mine modded by Astronomiser some 13 years ago.  Good to know he still does it.  

Andy did mine last year, think it was July. He bought an 800d from MPB, modded it and had it to me in 5 days. Couldn’t fault his service.

• 4 months later...
On 23/10/2023 at 13:38, Ags said:

The default IR filter in a DSLR cuts about 75% of the Ha light. 

So if I expose for 3 times longer or at three stops lower that will compensate?

I'm noob but genuine question. Zwo do a osc camera for under £400 and getting a random to mod my 600d will cost £200 minimum.

So I'm torn. I only use my 600d for astro.

By Random  I mean via eBay etc, not anyone trusted on these forums btw

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 1

Longer duration will help, but the unmodded camera is already hindered by blocking out a lot of the narrowband signal. Dslrs are typically much less quantum responsive at such wavelengths also which is another negative.

I had a modded 600D, it was decent, but the astro cameras, even uncooled ones are so much better, the noise profile for one is so much cleaner.

As far as I know, changing exposure compensation on cameras is a software/hardware trick, you're not physically changing the physics of light.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

3 times longer or at three stops lower that will compensate?

I'm noob but genuine question. Zwo do a osc camera for under £400

I am an imaging noob as well (with 60d astromod and a 60d unmod), so this is a genuine attempt to sort things in my own head as much as suggesting things for you to watch out for !
Or to confuse the heck out of us both ! lol!

3x longer -or wider on the lens stops- has implications for the correct exposure of the rest of the *spectrum (the oft quoted 1/3 histogram rule depending on the light pollution) That 75% +/- is relative to the rest so liable to overexpose everything else.
If it is 3 stops lower on the camera exp. compensation this is a fudge on the gain of the camera electronics which affects the sensitivity as well as the dynamic range, so depends on your desired target.
If you filter out the *rest of the (unwanted) spectrum with a narrow band Ha filter then 3x longer or wider-stops is then sort of ok but not good to chuck it all away in the existing stock filter :(  :( Very bad for the SNR. 

I have not checked the prices recently but under £400 will probably be a much smaller size of sensor area than the crop sensor in the 600d. So it "depends again!" on your desired target/scope/lens combo. & on pointing accuracy, ability to find target, need for mosaic etc&etc , ,  !

My brain cell is starting to hurt :)

• Like 2