Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sat24.com has had an upgrade. Much better IR night-time cloud prediction.

Craney

Evening all.  

Thought I would share this.  I know we all like are own particular on-line tools to detect and predict when the lovely fluffy stuff will arrive. 

Seems like the Sat24  site has had a colour software upgrade and the detail looks much better, especially at night when the imaging reverts to IR.

sat24day.jpg.3e8e0c447a2118da1dcb26e38390b0c7.jpg sat24night.jpg.ea805436884a62cf72f836e3ea88d16a.jpg

The previous IR format looked like it was taken from a geostationary.  The UK was foreshortened and quite small on the Europe wide image.   This one is certainly easier to predict from and seems to be processed to match the Visible image.

It wont make the clouds disappear but I hope it might help you plan ahead a bit better.

Cheers,

Sean.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Thanks, @Craney.  Is that the App or the website. I’ve used the website ever since the MET office version became IMO unusable. Howver, I didn’t like the look of what SAT24 have done. It doesn’t seem to fit properly on an iPad screen.  Maybe I should take another look at it. 

@Ouroboros   This is the website version.   (www.sat24.com)

I like to use time stamped photo data in terms of clouds and then use my own judgement as to when or if they are going to hit.

Any apps or websites that have the capacity to 'predict' conditions ahead seem to be over / under  optimistic in equal measure, which does not help matters.

The Met office seems to predict over quite large grid squares, which for Harrogate  ( not quite York low level flood plain, not quite high Pennine hills )  leads to variable results.

Edited by Craney
  • Like 1

Yes. I’m the same. I want to see real satellite and rain radar data so I can make my own local forecast as to what the weather might do. The MET site did that until they changed, after which I could not be certain what was real and what was modelled data. So I ditched ‘em and found SAT24.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@Craney    I've been using the new Sat24.  It's better than I initially thought.  Have you found a way of moving the map?  It seems to be stuck with the UK in the centre.  Sometimes it's good to see further out to what's coming further out.  

• Like 1

On the website if you click HD in the top right corner you can see the map full size in your browser.   Don't forget to disable location (or set it elsewhere) or you'll get a big blob covering the area you really want to see.

Sat24Clouds2023-10-21.png

• Like 2