NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Northern Milky Way

Spent last weekend at Orfordness in Suffolk for an Art Workshop.

With a 04:30 alarm call to be ready to see the sunrise across the site, most went to bed after supper; I went for a little wander with my star tracker and Sony A7 with a 20mm lens.

Had to be very careful to keep entirely to the footpath.

4 Minutes for the foreground, and 6  x 3 minutes (tracked) for the skies. For lightness sake, I used the Ioptron Wedge and regretted not carrying the extra weight of the William Optics wedge.  (My Ioptron wedge moves when you attempt to lock it)

ColourfulCombined.jpg

• Like 23

3 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

That's an amazing image, congratulations. Stunning foreground 👍

Lee

Thank you.  Sadly a view that will be blighted by the light pollution from Sizewell soon enough. To the right, sky glow from the windfarms and Rotterdam, to the left a smaller glow from Aldeburgh...

Edited by Cjg
typo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cjg said:

Thank you.  Sadly a view that will be blighted by the light pollution from Sizewell soon enough. To the right, sky glow from the windfarms and Rotterdam, to the left a smaller glow from Aldeburgh...

Sad to hear this, I'm pleased you've managed to capture it now. Fabulous image. 

Lee

• Like 1

Very nice. I'd love to Get something as good as that some day. I flew over the area earlier in the year in my paramotor - atomic bomb buildings, etc. Cool.

My ioptron wedge is rubbish too. I reckon they all are - trying to Pa it is a recipe for frustration.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, powerlord said:

Very nice. I'd love to Get something as good as that some day. I flew over the area earlier in the year in my paramotor - atomic bomb buildings, etc. Cool.

My ioptron wedge is rubbish too. I reckon they all are - trying to Pa it is a recipe for frustration.

Cool hobby with a Paramotor! The William Optics Wedge worth every penny. Also check out the move-shoot-move laser adaptor, the laser shines through the viewer and you do a decent align with that,  fine tuning by viewing, truly a 1 minute or less job!

i got a SW one - I hardly ever use my AZGTIs so couldn't really stomach the cost of the WO one tbh. But the SW feels tons better than rubbish ioptron at least.

laser - you can see a red 5mw laser line through your sony viewer ? Or have I got wrong end of stick ? I could see it working with a high powered green job

On 18/10/2023 at 09:30, powerlord said:

i got a SW one - I hardly ever use my AZGTIs so couldn't really stomach the cost of the WO one tbh. But the SW feels tons better than rubbish ioptron at least.

laser - you can see a red 5mw laser line through your sony viewer ? Or have I got wrong end of stick ? I could see it working with a high powered green job

I've heard that the Skywatcher is a better wedge. Bought mine during lockdown and the SW were sold out everywhere with FLO saying 40-60 days if memory serves...Think I had one of the last of their Ioptrons! 

It's a green laser, the attachment method is better in the newer version, than mine, but same principle see https://www.moveshootmove.com/collections/move-shoot-move-rotator/products/quick-polar-finder-ioptron-skyguider-pro-skywatcher-star-adventurer.

On 18/10/2023 at 09:51, Stu1smartcookie said:

Lovely image from a lovely part of the world . whets my appetite to get out there and take some wide angle shots . 

Thank you, and yes, you should get out and shoot in this part of the world,😁  if nothing but for posterity to show what the skies looked like before the light pollution from Sizewell C blights the night skies in that area for ever!

• Like 1

On 19/10/2023 at 14:53, knobby said:

Lovely image ! It's just so sad how we are losing dark skies so rapidly 😞

Thank you, yes it is sad. I'm going to spend as much time as I can in this area, it's a beautiful, fragile part of the world.

• Like 1