Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advise Dobson 10"..

tico

Hello Tico and welcome to SGL.

Most 10” Dobsonians you can buy today are very good - Skywatcher, Celestron, Bresser, GSO to name some of the scopes available in the UK.

These may be sold under different names in other countries but you cannot go far wrong with any 10” Dobsonian these days.

Orion Optics (UK) manufacture premium Dobsonians with very high spec optics.

Hope that helps

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 1

I have the bresser 10", the main selling points for me were the half round dobsonian altitude bearings, which help maintain balance with a wide variety of accessories, and the Hexafoc focuser, which is a cut above those that skywatcher/celestron use.

I cannot comment on the GSO (stellalyra, omegon, orion) dobsonians as I have never used one, But the stellalyra one does come with a nice finderscope (the one on the bresser is borderline unusable), and a dual speed focuser as standard.

best of luck with your choice!

• Like 1

Hello,
Is a 2" eyepiece holder better than a 1.25" one?
Would it be convenient to use a fan for the primary on the 10"?
And since it would be used manually, what would you recommend as a search engine, an optical one, a laser, a red dot...any other?
Thank you so much
Tico

@tico A 2 inch focuser is a better option than 1.25 inch, as you can reducers to use the smaller eyepieces in a 2 inch. Plus they have a larger drawtube, so less flexing.

Yes, a fan is a possibility and many 10 inch Newtonians come with a mounting plate on the mirror cell to fix an 80 mm fan to. If not, it is easy to make something. The fan will cool the telescope quicker, so is a good idea.

It's very much your personal preference on whether to use an optical finderscope, laser or red dot. They all work.

I had a 250px and it was very good.  However, i like the look of the large diameter bearings on the Bresser, as @Astronomist mentions above.  I've no experience of that scope, but I expect alt movements are better, and less balance issues. 

A 2" focuser gives you more options, but I actually only used1.25" EPs with my 250px. 

I found that a Telrad was excellent on my 250px, and I used it in conjunction with the nice stock optical finder that the scope came with.

I highly recommend a dual speed focuser. 

Edited by niallk