Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC 1396 with and minus it's starfield

fwm891

Shot last night as a test for my newly aquired (new to me) RASA 8 and IDAS NBZ filter combo. Captured with an ASI2600MC Duo unity gain, 10x 240s subs and processed in PI only.

I used RC Astro's StarExterminator to remove the starfield and processed the nebulosity separately. The stars were simply given a saturation boost before recombining.

I regreted selling my RASA 8 a few years back and I couldn't resist this when a fellow club member decided to sell his.

IC1396_NBZ_Combo_22092023_Flip.png

Starless2_Flip.png

• Like 11

Lovely image. The IMX 571 is an awesome sensor. I must admit i prefer the image with stars. 
Been on the fence in buying a Rasa for a while now. One of the only things stopping me is this damn weather. Not even used my Triplet much because of the weather!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

As with your NAN-Pelican, how about a compromise with smaller stars? In both cases I think your nebulosity is stunning.

Olly

Many thanks Olly for those kind words. Early days (2 days!) with the RASA and the 2600MC Duo so getting used to what they will give me. After reading your comment I've run some tests with the star image from the NAN-Pelican image using RC-Astro Blur-XT (taking a small croped area so I'm not here all week!) and I've ended up running both the stars only images with a 0.35 setting for sharpening and leaving the halo setting at zero as the halo is reduced anyway. So I hope these are more to your liking.

In for a few days of poor weather now so time to experiment further. Good to get comments from others about how images can be improved.

Many thanks

NGC7000_Pel_22092023_2.png

IC1396_NBZ_Combo_22092023_Flip2.png

• Like 5