Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Loch Ness Monster with neighbour (LDN 768, LDN 781, LBN 133, LBN 134)

gorann

Finally I could wake up from a long summer of bright nights and astrophotography-hibernation up here at 60°N! Caught this during one clear night (17 September) before clouds settled here again. LDN 768 is a rather commonly imaged dark nebula and with a quite good nick name "The Loch Ness Monster" although maybe a better and shorter name would be "The Nessie Nebula" from the monster's local nickname.

I think the blue reflection nebulae (LBN 133 and 134) contrasts nicely to the dark nebulosity and strongly red starfield.

Dual-RASA8 rig with ASI2600MC (no filter) on a Mesu 200. 152 x 3 min = 7.5 hours. Processed in PI and PS with all the XTerminator tools.

Cheers, Göran

20230927 LDN768 RASA1+2 PS21smallSign.jpg

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 17.29.17.png

Edited by gorann
  • Like 23

• gorann changed the title to The Loch Ness Monster with neighbour (LDN 768, LDN 781, LBN 133, LBN 134)
1 hour ago, AstroGS said:

The star field and the dark nebula + reflection nebula are absolutely beautiful and the framing even better! Well done 🙂

14 minutes ago, glafnazur said:

Super image, a new one for me too 👍

Thanks a lot guys! I like when I can bring in something new and good looking.

4 minutes ago, saac said:

That is just lovely. A cosmic  Nessie looking down at us :)

Jim 

Thanks a lot Jim! Yes, I think it should be named the Nessie Nebula. In the rather likely event she is not to be found in Loch Ness, she is at least up there!

• Like 1

On 21/09/2023 at 00:29, WolfieGlos said:

Also not seen this one before, like everyone else… but that’s a great image, with nice colours. 

Did you join in with this Goran? Looks like you’ve found it 🤣

On 21/09/2023 at 06:11, Roy Foreman said:

That blue reflection nebula just makes the image. And nessie too of course. Nice work.

Thanks a lot guys!

I just posted a wide field image of this area caught the same night by my little Samyang 135 piggybacking on the dual-RASA rig.