Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First law of astrophotography

vlaiv

Just now, andrew s said:

Now look what you made me do!cracked-screen.thumb.jpg.7149768f4bb863398d0afbb064ad9127.jpg

thanks Andrew 

:grin:

Our last guest, an SGL member, is a designer of fast video cameras which record, among other things, crack propagation in glass. May I suggest that you buy a new screen (a self calibrating Eizo would be a good choice) and repeat the attempt while filming it in a 2.5 million frames per second camera? Then you could post the video to provide a unique entertainment experience for us all!

Olly

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Elp said:

I think it looks fine, of course you can continue on with the processing.

Part of the fun for me is simply capturing something which is so far away and seemingly impossible to see visually. 

Yes, you’ve encapsulated it well there.

Perhaps the  zeroth law of astrophotography is to enjoy it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

OK, let's try it:

E2S_180sec_109subs_DBE.thumb.jpg.16c2a9bf5ce03719d71ee967ed40b786.jpg

[...] I gained no pleasure whatever from producing it!!  It offered all the intellectual interest of stretching an elastic band. If that was all that astrophotography had to offer I wouldn't do it.

Olly

Well, that's my aspirations dashed on the rocks, rescued and thrown back in... 😂

1 hour ago, andrew s said:

Now look what you made me do!cracked-screen.thumb.jpg.7149768f4bb863398d0afbb064ad9127.jpg

thanks Andrew 

That's a cracking image!

• Haha 5

Even with the myriad of processing repair tools now available, I don’t think you can get away with neglecting  the first four of the six Fs as defined by Steve Richards:

Find, Frame, Focus, Follow

However, with fast wide field imaging set ups, am I going to spend a clear night (or three) fiddling with tilt and spacing when I can use software tools to fix peripheral stars, no, that’s not for me.

Maybe that’s why I prefer small galaxy imaging, I only need the bit in the middle.😉

TBH, the recent AI based tools have transformed the imaging processing part of AP for me, turning it from an arduous frustrating grind to a smooth, fast and rewarding exercise, knowing that the end result will be superior to the starting input.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomato said:

Even with the myriad of processing repair tools now available, I don’t think you can get away with neglecting  the first four of the six Fs as defined by Steve Richards:

Find, Frame, Focus, Follow

However, with fast wide field imaging set ups, am I going to spend a clear night (or three) fiddling with tilt and spacing when I can use software tools to fix peripheral stars, no, that’s not for me.

Maybe that’s why I prefer small galaxy imaging, I only need the bit in the middle.😉

TBH, the recent AI based tools have transformed the imaging processing part of AP for me, turning it from an arduous frustrating grind to a smooth, fast and rewarding exercise, knowing that the end result will be superior to the starting input.

Woo Hoo, Me too!

:grin:lly

• 3 weeks later...

This is a work in progress. Just ~40 hours of luminance data of ARP 319 region

I applied background removal,  BXT, NXT, GHS. Don't know if its too many steps or to few but I like the result. Probably over did it with GHS but I wanted to see how much IFN there is

ARP319Test.png

Edited by dan_adi
  • Like 1

On 19/09/2023 at 18:48, tomato said:

True for me too, hours of data on the hard drive now getting processed as I'm finally getting somewhere.  I wouldnt say I rely solely of AI, but it sure helps along the way.  No substitute for good data capture, although I can reward myself for putting in the effort setting it all up.

• Like 1