Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

C11 oh my...Jupiter and Ganymede (UPDATED)

BGazing

At last, I got my friend's C11 to collimate and use. Unfortunately, I did not use it in that nice seeing we had on September 2, but on our dark site. Wasted one night trying to collimate it in MG, something was off, unfortunately. On the second night I had more luck, and after some DSO hunting I managed to shoot Saturn and Jupiter in pulsating but OK seeing. (On the previous night I did not manage to collimate it properly and can post the results for 'the effects of collimation comparison). Increased resolution is immediately apparent, but oh boy is this thing sensitive to transport, upon checking it last night back home it already lost a lot of collimation and I had to do it again, this time I was quick. Sort of figured out what works.

2023-09-11-0012_8-derot_lapl6_ap89.png

Edited by BGazing
  • Like 17

• BGazing changed the title to C11 oh my...Jupiter and Ganymede (UPDATED)
21 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

Seeing the details on Jupiter, like this is always amazing.

But I have to say seeing one of the moons, looking like a moon instead of a brilliant spec is even more so!

Well done!

Thank you and I agree, there is something special about that photo. My wife, who basically says that Moon is great and Sun in h-alpha 'okay', looked at the photo and was impressed. There is a certain 3d depth quality due to Ganymede (it was about to go behind). I actually processed it separately as doing same processing on Jove and Ganymede creates a bit artifactey appearence on the moon.