Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Seestar S50 images

M40

Whirpool Galaxy M51, with 22h of integration (8020*10s), stacked and processed in Pixinsight. I did not push the sharpening and denoising all the way in these images, as it does start to degrade fast, and denoise tends to remove detail and deform the galaxy. However, I must say I never dreamed of capturing such images with a small device like the Seestar. I live in Bortle 3 at 1050m (3500ft) above sea level, so the conditions likely help the outcome. One image has a bit more saturation, as I just tried two different approaches and couldn't decide which is better.

I got my Seestar S50 in mid-February, and I also bought Pixinsight at that time. So, being only 4 months into this hobby, I welcome constructive feedback and criticism from the more (or less) experienced folk, as that is probably the best way to grow your skills. Thanks for watching.

Untitled-58bin-3.thumb.jpeg.155ff4cf5149a7731d5bf1dd2600f875.jpeg

Untitled-64.thumb.jpg.0d13be80780d62a12eeb4d197bbfdb9c.jpg

Edited by Recretos
Replacing an image
  • Like 17

Friend is thinking of a s50 for him and his daughters after I've sent him my own (not s50) terrible images over last few months.

If after seeing your image he doesn't buy one he's an idiot.

He's in bortale9 though,.....

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

58 minutes ago, Recretos said:

Whirpool Galaxy M51, with 22h of integration (8020*10s), stacked and processed in Pixinsight. I did not push the sharpening and denoising all the way in these images, as it does start to degrade fast, and denoise tends to remove detail and deform the galaxy. However, I must say I never dreamed of capturing such images with a small device like the Seestar. I live in Bortle 3 at 1050m (3500ft) above sea level, so the conditions likely help the outcome. One image has a bit more saturation, as I just tried two different approaches and couldn't decide which is better.

I got my Seestar S50 in mid-February, and I also bought Pixinsight at that time. So, being only 4 months into this hobby, I welcome constructive feedback and criticism from the more (or less) experienced folk, as that is probably the best way to grow your skills. Thanks for watching.

Untitled-58bin-3.thumb.jpeg.155ff4cf5149a7731d5bf1dd2600f875.jpeg

Untitled-64.thumb.jpg.0d13be80780d62a12eeb4d197bbfdb9c.jpg

Hi Recretos - Stunning captures from such a remarkably compact piece of kit.

Great work indeed!!

Regards,

Norris

• Like 2

Took a chance last night when it was clear at about 23.30. I've wanted to capture Messier 106 for some time so had a go. 143 x 10 second images, fairly primitive processing 😄.

M106 is a spiral galaxy 24 million light years from earth, easily the most distant object I've ever imaged.

Messier 106.jpg

• Like 7

Clouds parted for an hour last night so used the Seestar to see what M16 is looking like at the moment for when I get a chance to image it properly.

30 minutes, Bortle 9.

The Seestar really can capture a decent amount of data.

Original (stacked in Siril) and Processed (PI).

MM

image.thumb.jpeg.2afe3736a65242af4d00d235ceeb2898.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9852103d44c186fc9d18ec0620345312.jpeg

• Like 9

On 10/06/2024 at 19:57, Recretos said:

I welcome constructive feedback and criticism from the more (or less) experienced folk, as that is probably the best way to grow your skills

I think that's a fantastic result and just proves how much difference more time makes if you REALLY want to see more detail after post processing.

Looking at the image, if you try some sort of deconvolution technique, you'll ever so slightly sharpen up the galaxy detail if you take care not to oversharpen whilst doing it.

On 10/06/2024 at 20:16, TiffsAndAstro said:

Friend is thinking of a s50 for him and his daughters after I've sent him my own (not s50) terrible images over last few months.

If after seeing your image he doesn't buy one he's an idiot.

He's in bortale9 though,.....

I am in Bortle 9 (Zone 2 Central London) and you can see my image below.

The Seestar is definitely usable in such conditions as long as you are aware of the possible issues without processing (like gradients).

MM

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MonsterMagnet said:

I am in Bortle 9 (Zone 2 Central London) and you can see my image below.

The Seestar is definitely usable in such conditions as long as you are aware of the possible issues without processing (like gradients).

MM

S50 has narrowband filters built in? It's a very tempting product considering it costs less than my camera alone.

And who doesn't like a carbon fibre tripod?

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

11 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

S50 has narrowband filters built in? It's a very tempting product considering it costs less than my camera alone.

And who doesn't like a carbon fibre tripod?

It's got a NB filter, I wouldn't say it's up there with an L-Extreme but it certainly helps a lot.  I tend to use the Seestar when I know the clouds are going to roll in and don't want to get my rig setup.  It's great for a quick grab and go.  I also took it to Asia as it's so small it goes under a plane seat and used it on an island in the South China Sea to get a lovely image of the Carina Nebula (in this thread as well).  It works pretty decently in darker skies.

For the price, it's a bargain.

MM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MonsterMagnet said:

It's got a NB filter, I wouldn't say it's up there with an L-Extreme but it certainly helps a lot.  I tend to use the Seestar when I know the clouds are going to roll in and don't want to get my rig setup.  It's great for a quick grab and go.  I also took it to Asia as it's so small it goes under a plane seat and used it on an island in the South China Sea to get a lovely image of the Carina Nebula (in this thread as well).  It works pretty decently in darker skies.

For the price, it's a bargain.

MM

the galaxy image someone linked somewhere on this website recently of like 22 hours in bortle 2 was incredible. shows its potential combined with being able to take it as carry on a plane.

• Like 1

Seeing these images really wants me to seriously think of buying a  seestar S50. Outstanding images everyone and much more portable than my AzGti was in EQ mode. 

I'll have to do some more research on the seestar. I find the processing of images quite easy on my old setup. It's either that or a star adventurer 2 for my Widefield astrophotography. 

Clear. Skies

Lee

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Seeing these images really wants me to seriously think of buying a  seestar S50. Outstanding images everyone and much more portable than my AzGti was in EQ mode. 

I'll have to do some more research on the seestar. I find the processing of images quite easy on my old setup. It's either that or a star adventurer 2 for my Widefield astrophotography. 

Clear. Skies

Lee

Might be worth hanging on for a new bigger better version?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I think that would appeal to many but it I don't think it would be for me.  The best thing about the Seestar is that it's unbelievably portable.  I can take my usual luggage somewhere and just also carry the Seestar.  If I want better images then I use my rig.  I can understand someone who doesn't have a whole setup wanting a larger version though.

A better version which was the same size would be good though.

MM

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MonsterMagnet said:

I think that would appeal to many but it I don't think it would be for me.  The best thing about the Seestar is that it's unbelievably portable.  I can take my usual luggage somewhere and just also carry the Seestar.  If I want better images then I use my rig.  I can understand someone who doesn't have a whole setup wanting a larger version though.

A better version which was the same size would be good though.

MM

yeah good point.

43 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

They have confirmed they're working on others or at least hinted at it during the NEAF 2024 conference.

• Like 1

Just now, Elp said:

One where you can use your own camera would be appealing. You then have more control over the FOV. It'd have to be designed differently though.

i reckon it would be too hard to make such a thing as user friendly and customisable. but.

this is zwo. an almost completely modular system where the customer can select an option for each component part or later choose to buy upgrade components is probably their wet dream.  i reckon itd be pretty tricky but there's a good chance its on their to do list.

don't mean to sound too harsh to zwo. from what i have read they make some really good stuff. and its red in colour :) the f4 120mm guide scope i have from them is a bit crap though. but for £70 or whatever its probably good enough. the 120mm guide cam seems nice.

Just now, TiffsAndAstro said:

why would they not be? i wonder how many they've sold. it seems like a lot of user friendly gear for £500. 

They'd have to be careful not to eat into the market share of the SS50 which would continue to sell until a competitor releases a comparable product, Dwarf are close but I don't think as popular.

• Like 1

Just now, Elp said:

They'd have to be careful not to eat into the market share of the SS50 which would continue to sell until a competitor releases a comparable product, Dwarf are close but I don't think as popular.

they can probably protect s50 just by making the s60  cost more.  then again, maybe £500 is a price point that appeals strongly to so many more. hard to know i guess

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elp said:

Although it could be cheaper I think they got the price right. Unlike the 4000 Celestron Origin.

just googled it. just the scope is like £2k? if they thought they were going for the market the s50 targets i want some of what celestron are smoking. celestron must be aiming at some niche surely with that?

i'd love the scope off it though :) ok maybe not so much now i looked at it closer.

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

13 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

love the scope off it though

It's 4000 for the whole setup, you can't buy the bits separately, and it's on an alt az mount for that cost, can't change camera unless Celestron release them.

I agree with the scope though, many people have been crying out for a RASA6 for years and I believe they refused to do it due to the percentage size the central obstruction would be, Starizona's Hyperstar 6 would like to say a word...

They see the popularity of the SS50 and the Dwarf and everyone else jumps onto the smartscope bandwagon (though Unistellar, Vaonis maybe others were doing it years in advance, but more expensive).

We digress anyway, this thread is about EEA or SS50 images.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Elp said:

It's 4000 for the whole setup, you can't buy the bits separately, and it's on an alt az mount for that cost, can't change camera unless Celestron release them.

I agree with the scope though, many people have been crying out for a RASA6 for years and I believe they refused to do it due to the percentage size the central obstruction would be, Starizona's Hyperstar 6 would like to say a word...

They see the popularity of the SS50 and the Dwarf and everyone else jumps onto the smartscope bandwagon (though Unistellar, Vaonis maybe others were doing it years in advance, but more expensive).

£500 is much closer to a impulse purchase price than £4. but it is an actual rasa though. 

i still can't find anyone who makes an eq mount with motorised alt/az adjustments and i think that's a good idea. could be a way for a seastar s60eq to be user friendly, hell could even have a lower megapixel duo type camera with built in guide cam. built in auto guiding, built in polar alignment. obviously at a cost though.

• Like 1