NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

25+hrs of RGBHO on the Squid

AstroGS

I had the chance during the summer to spend a couple of weeks in North Greece (Chalkidiki) and under bortle 2/3 skies. The experience was amazing and the views of the Milky Way mesmerising!

The Squid has always been high in my list but, never tried it from Northampton as it does require lots of hours (especially on the OIII) and the weather..... well you know.

I used the new RedCat61 on the AM5, with an ASI2600MM + the new Antlia 2.8nm SHO/LRGB filters.

OII: approx 22 hrs (132 x 600sec)

Ha: 15 x 600sec

RGB: 10 x 120sec each for the stars

The processing has been a huge challenge so far of this target and I will continue working on it as, I believe I can get a better result with my data. happy to get your input/ advice.

Squid_Nebula.jpg

Squid_Nebula_cropped.jpg

• Like 26

2 hours ago, simmo39 said:

V nice ! Tried this target last year and although I could see the squid it was faint, brilliant for putting 25hrs in on it. I managed about 12 before I moved on.

It is indeed a very demanding target on OIII and when I tried with the 2600MC and dual band filters, it did not work for me. I consider this a good start and I will get more OIII (and Ha) data over the next months. My target here is to get a very a clear/detailed and sharp image of the Squid nebula indeed. Probably another 15-20 hours on OIII and 3-4 hours on Ha, will get a better result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

Very nice! I like the opaque look of the Squid, it's how it should look imo. I bet there's more to be revealed in this as your background looks a bit clipped.

You are right - I had to push the background to get rid the blue channel as it was super dominant and it was almost impossible with my PI knowledge to correct it, without impacting the Squid nebula. Here is probably where Photoshop can really help with it but, I do not know how to use it. 

The Squid is outstanding, bold and smooth.

In your shoes I would go for more broadband rather than more OIII. Paul Kummer and I recently did an image of this region in one shot colour with a very fast system. The result is almost the opposite of yours: we have deep dust and reflection nebulosity but no Squid whatever!  We should collaborate! :grin:

Olly 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

The Squid is outstanding, bold and smooth.

In your shoes I would go for more broadband rather than more OIII. Paul Kummer and I recently did an image of this region in one shot colour with a very fast system. The result is almost the opposite of yours: we have deep dust and reflection nebulosity but no Squid whatever!  We should collaborate! :grin:

Olly 

I would be more than happy to collaborate to make the most out of the data! Thank you for your kind words 🙂

Edited by AstroGS

On 10/09/2023 at 19:18, 900SL said:

Thats quite something. Difficult target that I am not worthy to tackle at this point in my progression. Well done!

I am definitely not an expert on processing - I just put as many hours as possible (wherever possible) and then prey that the processing will be good! 🙂

Edited by AstroGS