Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SEP 3RD - 4TH, A GAS GIANT AND LUNAR TREAT WITH THE CELESTRON 10 INCH STARSENSE DOB.

paulastro

I was out from 10.40 pm to 2.20 am, primarily I had planned to observe some particular deep sky targets, double stars, red stars and carbon stars.

I spent the first two hours doing just that.  It went well enough, though there was some cloud going by early on, some mist and a rather bright sky  due to the gibbous Moon about 15 degrees from Jupiter.

At 12.40 I thought I'd have a planetary interlude observing the four gas giants and the Moon.  I put on the Badder binoviewer, two 24mm Orthos and a x2 barlow element in the nosepiece along with the Baader Contrast Booster filter.  My usual planetary setup.

WOW !  I couldn't believe what I saw.  The Dob gives very good planetary images, bit I wasn't prepared for the view.  At x200 there was a picture perfect view of Saturn.  The main belts, Cassini's, the rings on the planet, cloud belts and the edge of the limb.  All without a flicker of movement.  Like an etching from a 19th century astronomy book.  With several satellites to complete the seeing.

Even when I swapped up to 16.8 Orthos, x286, the view was as steady. The sort of seeing I'm lucky to see from home only about every 2/3 years.  I then observed  Neptune ( on the  dim side in the mist) and onto Uranus showing a perfect little pale blue disc.  Then onto Jupiter.

I gasped, I usually spend little time if any on Jupiter with the 16.8s as the seeing is too poor and I go back to the 24s quickly.  Not tonight! To have a steady view of Jupiter at such a power is awe inspiring. The sheer size of it with the two EBs showing raggedy edges, and hints of festoons and other features in the EZ, plus at least another couple of belts and detail in both polar regions, wonderful.   

I also observed the  Moon with Janssen on the terminator the most impressive feature.  Lovely to see it at such a higher power without having to trade in sharpness and steadyness in exchange.

This continued on and off for about an  hour before I returned to a few more deep sky objects to finish off with.  By this time the seeing was still good - but not the jaw dropping views I had just had the good fortune to witness.

What a night !!!

Edited by paulastro
Typo
  • Like 12

• paulastro changed the title to SEP 3RD - 4TH, A GAS GIANT AND LUNAR TREAT WITH THE CELESTRON 10 INCH STARSENSE DOB.