Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just love these 'chunky' achros

OK, they may suffer from chromatic aberration, but I just love the look of these short tube, fast achros.  Look great in use too and they are lovely under rated scopes in my opinion.

Just received this corking 102 Bresser.  Can't wait to get it out under the skies.

20230904_095850.thumb.jpg.0fd928b69e70304adb062831e9a31946.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Louis D said:

What do you like viewing with them most?

Anything and everything!  I'm a jack of all trades, master of none so planetary, lunar, deep sky, maybe a but of widefield imaging, whatever takes my fancy.

• Like 1

“Chunky fast achros” look great to me too😊

Just something about them for me. A few months ago I found a second hand 120/600 achro in the most unlikely of  places. I was visiting my local tip (sorry, recycling centre😊).  On the exit route is a shop selling lots of random items. Amongst all that stuff was a dusty short fat scope on a rusty alt-az mount.

Under all the dirt I couldn’t see any damage. Thankfully the plastic dust cap was in place over the objective. I simply could not resist the bargain price.

It cleaned up beautifully. Although not intended for planetary or double stars, it’s unexpectedly ok for that task.

My short fat achro at a bargain price is now a prized possession 👍

Ed.

• Like 4

I like the short acromatics! I have a acromatic 120/600, bought 12 years ago, with which saw well Mars for the opposition of 2022; I was thinking of buying a Herschel prism for observing the sun with this acro. In theory a acromatic 102/460 is promising a lot of cromatism, I'm curious of knowing as it behaves.

• Like 2

I like mine as it sits on a parcel shelf very comfortably when travelling.  Big enough aperture for travel to dark skies.   They are also very good for terrestrial use if you stop them down using the small end cap hole so as to virtually eliminate the false colour.  My 102mm F5 becomes a 50mm F10 spotting scope, great for daytime use.

Edited by Alkaid

I agree; I have two short acromatics, a 70/400 (Celestron Travelscope 70) and a 80/400 (Konus Vista-80) wich I adore. For terrestrial use I prefer to observe without diaphragms, for the Moon (only with the Vista) I put a Baader's filter (Semiapo or Contrast Booster), for the Sun I use the Wratten green filter W56 which give a very contrasted image and without cromatism.

Edited by Gonariu
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a short FL Bresser AR-152S which has been waiting for a proper test for over 9 years since I refurbished it 😂

It most likely needs collimating but have not had clear enough skies recently to test. I expect a fair amount of chromatic aberration but I'm hoping once the collimation and so on are sorted it will make a great RFT.