NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The existential impact of observing

The60mmKid

Has observing changed your relationship with the world? How can one see a galaxy with one's own eyes and remain unaltered? And yet, how often do we discuss this aspect of the endeavor?

Observing, for me, isn't a hobby. It's a connection with the source of my being, a reminder of who (or better, what) I am, and a glimpse into the infinite, beautiful unknowability of life. It stuns me to look at the Trapezium in Orion and know that those stars were born after humanoids began walking on this planet. To look at the Whirlpool Galaxy and let my mind even try to fathom the spacial and temporal scale of such a confluence...

Does this matter? Or should we stick to debating ortho vs. Nagler?

• Like 9

I'm an ortho man myself 😁

Whilst I don't disagree with anything you've written, I don't let philosophy get in the way of a good planetary or lunar session. The fact that light from distant objects took a long time to get here because those objects are far away is not important. What is important is that I am looking at them, and enjoying them, here and now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, The60mmKid said:

Has observing changed your relationship with the world? How can one see a galaxy with one's own eyes and remain unaltered? And yet, how often do we discuss this aspect of the endeavor?

Observing, for me, isn't a hobby. It's a connection with the source of my being, a reminder of who (or better, what) I am, and a glimpse into the infinite, beautiful unknowability of life. It stuns me to look at the Trapezium in Orion and know that those stars were born after humanoids began walking on this planet. To look at the Whirlpool Galaxy and let my mind even try to fathom the spacial and temporal scale of such a confluence...

What a brilliant post. It may be bit tricky to publicly share exactly how we feel about observing and what we feel while observing but probably you put it very poetically for a few of us. You do for me - thankfully I’m often awestruck and often in wonder.  

I find it existentially very reassuring to consider how insignificant and brief we are compared to the phenomena we observe. Very centering for what’s important really (probably not as much as we think and definitely not as much as we may worry about)

Discussing kit is safely less revealing of ourselves 😉so i’m going to get back to the wide field scope thread. 

• Like 4

Why narrow the debate to Orthos and Naglers only? 😉

I do understand what you are saying about observation setting you thinking about who or what we are, 
clearly that debate here has a danger of straying into certain subjects that are discouraged on this forum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Why narrow the debate to Orthos and Naglers only? 😉

I do understand what you are saying about observation setting you thinking about who or what we are, 
clearly that debate here has a danger of straying into certain subjects that are discouraged on this forum.

Thanks for the reminder. To clarify, it certainly isn't my intention to prompt a conversation about religion, which is understandably not allowed on this forum since that could take so many different turns... I use the word "existential" in reference to the individual experience of relationship to the rest of reality that all of us feel in our own particular ways. But I agree fully: I'd love to hear about that while making sure we respect the rules of the forum.

• Like 3

I have never lost the wonder of looking at certain celestial objects. When you gaze into the heart of the fiery Orion Nebula and see the crucible of the Trapezium where stars are being born, and tendrils of illuminated gas spanning light years, it does give me a sense of our place in the Universe and a perspective on the mundane problems of life. Unfortunately these feelings rarely permeate my day to day stresses and anxieties, but I do feel a duty to spread the message and enlighten others when I can. 

• Like 5

Yes. It has expanded my consciousness beyond this planet, made me more understanding and at peace with myself. It has been a positive change.

I've been interested in Astronomy since age 5, seen many astrophotos, simulators on my PC, video games deep in space that simulate the entire galaxy (Elite Dangerous)  but it was ONLY once I started observing visually that I felt this profound change. 

We can always debate why. Still haven't figured that one out completely.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, The60mmKid said:

If those thoughts and feelings are important to you then yes they matter. I'm sure there are plenty out there with similar thoughts, especially amongst the likely very large amateur sub group of stargazers who love their time under the stars and appreciate what they're observing, yet have no particular desire to measure or photograph anything...

Similar to you I've found observational astronomy has led to some existential introspection and without doubt has resulted in a positive effect on my well being. Nearly every time I'm out is a mindfulness session.

It's still a hobby though. 😉

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, saac said:

I observe, therefore I am.

Jim 

Of course you are my bright little star.
I've miles
And miles
Of files
Pretty files of your forefather's fruit
And now to suit our
Great computer
You're magnetic ink.

Regards Andrew 

• Like 4