Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC1396 - 6 panel mosaic.

ollypenrice

Imaged with Paul Kummer who did capture, stacking and mosaic construction. I post processed. RASA 8, ASI2600 OSC, EQ6, based here in SE France.

I've image IC1396 several times but never like this, with the super-fast system and the X-suite to liberate the nebula from the starfield. Very exciting! In the top right is the start of the Flying Bat nebula.

spacer.png

It's a big image, best seen here:  

https://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Emission-Nebulae/i-5ZjzWhw/A

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
False click
  • Like 16

12 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

Most images I see of this don’t show the orange hues around the Garnet star. Stunning.

This was one of the best parts of processing the data. On earlier versions I've always worried about whether the orange colours around the Garnet Star were just bloat from the star's light.  In this version I can feel confident that the gasses themselves do have this colour.

Olly

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

This was one of the best parts of processing the data. On earlier versions I've always worried about whether the orange colours around the Garnet Star were just bloat from the star's light.  In this version I can feel confident that the gasses themselves do have this colour.

Olly

I think we are all guilty of removing natural gradients we think shouldn't be there... I guess we all go through the same battle of what's correct and what looks right

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

That's gorgeous! But when are you going to start trying? You make it look so easy!

My new workflow using StarX is the most consistent I've ever followed. In the past I'd do things differently at each stage, depending on how the image was progressing. For the first time since I started I can say that I do actually have a predictable workflow now.  Processing really is easier than it has ever been, though Paul's meticulous pre-processing has a lot to do with that.

Olly

• Like 3

A belated processing note: when replacing the stars and keeping them small, I found that those in front of the bright nebula didn't show at all, giving the impression that the nebula sat in a stellar void. With the stars still as a top layer I used the Ps Colour Select tool to select the bright nebulosity and gave the top layer a gentle further stretch within the selection to bring them into view. In small format this doesn't show much but, when zoomed in, it looks more natural.

Olly

A beautiful image, it has that lovely soft smokiness that you only get with the deepest images.  I love that soft yellowish dusty area at the top of the main nebula.  Also the different shadings of the Ha nebulosity.  Subtle stuff!

• Like 1