Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The next big EP line or what you’d like to see?

IB20

What do we think the next big EP range could be, what even are we lacking? Could we see a new Vixen range since the SLVs and SSWs have been discontinued? Are Televue due something new out? Baader? SvBony?

Tak surprisingly have released the TPL line which are Plössl-like, a little on the quirky side but have been getting some decent early reports from users on CN.

Personally I’d like some Tak UWs or extension of the TOE line, rebooted Vixen-HRs and LVWs; perhaps even some new Televues without undercuts…

As long as it has an 8mm focal length in the range, with >15mm eye relief, 60-70 degree FoV, and costs somewhere between £130 to £250 in terms of quality then I'll be happy.

I don't think I'm being too picky here, it doesn't have to be black with green writing 😄

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Neil_104 said:

As long as it has an 8mm focal length in the range, with >15mm eye relief, 60-70 degree FoV, and costs somewhere between £130 to £250 in terms of quality then I'll be happy.

I don't think I'm being too picky here, it doesn't have to be black with green writing 😄

Spooky! One of the reasons I was thinking about new lines was I’ve been looking for an 8mm. There doesn’t seem to be many about - Delos perhaps but I’d quite like the return of the LVWs for this FL. 

• Haha 1

Yep my thoughts exactly, 8mm seems to be hard to come by at that medium to medium-high price tag. I tried the 8mm BST in the past but thought it was terrible - blurry image and horrendous ghosting when looking at Jupiter. I'd ideally like something I can use for binoviewers, which discounts the Delos as they'd be a bit too unwieldy for my liking. Plus the cost considering I need two of them!

8mm, huh?

All of these are available in 8mm:

Svbony 3-8mm Zoom

and

365 Astronomy Andromeda Extra Flat
365 Astronomy Magellan Wide Angle
Agena Starguider Dual ED
Agena Wide Angle
Angeleyes (eBay/Ali Express) Wide Angle
Aquila SW
Arcturus Ebony
Artesky Planetary SW
Artesky Super ED
Astro Tech Paradigm Dual ED
Astromania Planetary
Astromania Plossl
Astromania Premium Flatfield
Astromania SWA
ATC (Czech) N
ATC (Czech) UWS
Auriga WA
Baader Planetarium Hyperion
Brandon Brandon Orthoscopic
BST (Barsta) 58 degree Series
BST (Barsta) Flat Field
Datyson Plossl
Edmund Optics RKE (Rank-Kaspereit-Erfle)
Harry Siebert Optics Starsplitter SS4 Series
Harry Siebert Optics Starsplitter SS4 Series
Hercules Plano
KSON  Ultra Flat Field
Lacerta WA
Lunt "Solar Eyepieces", Flat field
Omegon Cronus
Omegon Flatfield
Omegon Redline
Orion EF
Ostara UK Flat Field
Saxon Australia SWA
Sky Rover WA
Stellarvue UWA
SVBONY Plossl
Tecnosky Flat Field
Tecnosky Planetary ED
Tecnosky Superwide HD
Tecnosky Wide Angle
Tele Vue Optics Delos
Tele Vue Optics Ethos
Tele Vue Optics Plossl
Telescope Service ED  
Telescope Service Expanse ED
Telescope Service Planetary HR
Telescope Service Wide Angle
TMB (Sky's the Limit, UK) Planetary II
Vixen

NPL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IB20 said:

What do we think the next big EP range could be, what even are we lacking? Could we see a new Vixen range since the SLVs and SSWs have been discontinued? Are Televue due something new out? Baader? SvBony?

Tak surprisingly have released the TPL line which are Plössl-like, a little on the quirky side but have been getting some decent early reports from users on CN.

Personally I’d like some Tak UWs or extension of the TOE line, rebooted Vixen-HRs and LVWs; perhaps even some new Televues without undercuts…

What I'm looking for is a TeleVue 85° line with enough eye relief for glasses at all focal lengths.  Nagler Type 7?

Probably Ethos prices, but that's OK with me.

• Like 4

Having tried and been impressed by their 3-8mm zoom, I think the Svbony brand could come up with something very interesting if they put their mind to it.

Maybe even Don's 85 degree LER range at less-than-Ethos pricing !

I'd quite like some more variety on the zoom front.  Smaller ranges of focal like the 3-8mm (so 9-14, 15-20, etc) with the constant(ish) and 60°(ish) FOV, minimal refocusing that the 3-8mm has.  A smidge more eye relief would be appreciated (don't Mind it being short for planets, but for DSO sketching a bit more eye relief is good).  I can see the cost getting beefy though, especially at the longer focal lengths.

If they could do all that and have a quality of view like the BST Starguiders I'd be a happy chappy.

Edited by Ratlet
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I'm perfectly happy with what I have at the moment.

If I had £1 each time I had said / thought that over the past years, I'd have enough to buy a nice new eyepiece 😁

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, John said:

If I had £1 each time I had said / thought that over the past years, I'd have enough to buy a nice new eyepiece 😁

You are probably correct but I have to keep telling myself that I'm happy at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ratlet said:

I'd quite like some more variety on the zoom front.  Smaller ranges of focal like the 3-8mm (so 9-14, 15-20, etc) with the constant(ish) and 60°(ish) FOV, minimal refocusing that the 3-8mm has.  A smidge more eye relief would be appreciated (don't Mind it being short for planets, but for DSO sketching a bit more eye relief is good).  I can see the cost getting beefy though, especially at the longer focal lengths.

If they could do all that and have a quality of view like the BST Starguiders I'd be a happy chappy.

The APM 15.4mm - 7.7mm zoom ticks some of those boxes. Foremost, it is a very good optical performer, it does offer a constant 65-ish degree AFoV throughout it's zoom range and the need for focus adjustment is slight at most though that range. The effective eye relief is around 16-17mm I reckon so a little tight for those who wear glasses but comfy for the rest of us. It is not cheap though at £399. If the eyepiece could be made a little smaller, a little less expensive, with a couple of mm more eye relief, maybe acceptably at the expense of a couple of degrees AFoV, and with a more friendly focal plane position when in 1.25 inch mode, then it would be in a lot more eyepiece cases I reckon 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

No fear.  SLVs and NPLs are not discontinued.

That's a relief. I have still got to pick up a 2.5 and 12 for my power-of-two set: 2.5, 6, 12, 25.

The eyepiece I waited for since 2008 is the Svbony 3-8 zoom,  I have one and I love it so I am not hoping for anything new at the moment. 

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

I'd like to see an integrated light intensification line of eyepieces at a reasonable price.  I know there's EEVA and nightvision stuff, but it's so hodge-podge right now.  Some sort of elegant, compact system.  I mean, if they can offer that ZWO Seestar 50 for $500, you'd think someone could offer an eyepiece sized light intensification/collection unit for $500 to $1000.

51 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I'd like to see an integrated light intensification line of eyepieces at a reasonable price.  I know there's EEVA and nightvision stuff, but it's so hodge-podge right now.  Some sort of elegant, compact system.  I mean, if they can offer that ZWO Seestar 50 for $500, you'd think someone could offer an eyepiece sized light intensification/collection unit for $500 to $1000.

Living in a dreamworld, Louis.

Eyepiece size night vision devices (e.g. Collins) were $4000 15 years ago, and there has been a lot of inflation since them.

Camera capture takes longer (not real time), but it's a LOT cheaper.

1 hour ago, Don Pensack said:

Living in a dreamworld, Louis.

No one said I can't dream about what I'd like to see for future eyepieces.  The OP did ask "what even are we lacking?".  Clearly we are lacking an affordable and compact line of light intensification eyepieces.