NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flying with binoculars

SwiMatt

Hey all, 

I'm sure this question was asked several times already, but couldn't find anything with a quick search on SGL so... is there any risk in flying with my binoculars in my backpack (NOT in checked in luggage)? Could they be taken from me by airport controls?

In the specifics, I'm flying on Air France tomorrow and I cannot find anywhere that I can't but... it's my beloved binoculars you know 😆

I have never had any issues carrying binoculars, cameras, etc.
However, I suggest you check the Air France web site for their up to date list of prohibited items.
For reassurance print the relevant page/section to wave at staff if they say anything.

• Like 1

also never had a problem with a small refractor (virgin atlantic) and a small newtonian (british airways), both in carry-on (no way am I trusting them to the hold).

Hopefully the anecdotal evidence will put your mind at rest, but as binos don't fall into any of the 'dangerous' categories I would be surprised if you can find something that specifically says you can. 

Ady

• Like 2

They are not on the prohibited list so you're OK, as long as they are not too heavy or too large.

I've been carrying binoculars on flights for 30 years, including large 100mm models and Canon IS models. In the x-ray scanners they just look like a pair of camera telephoto lenses, which are very common carry-ons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SwiMatt said:

Thank you all for the quick replies! Ever since 2001 they managed to put a damn fear on flying travellers, it's really tough not to get paranoid! 😅

You are right to check and double-check. The last thing you want to do is find out when you turn up at the airport.. 

Edited by adyj1
Un-gobbledygook
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry Fitz-Gerald said:

No personal experience but I understand Egypt is not a bino-friendly country if that is your destination.

That's a whole other subject - Never go 'plane-spotting' near a foreign military airfield, for sure (unless you are trying to dramatically increase the length of your holiday, and don't want to do any more sight-seeing 😉

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

That's a whole other subject - Never go 'plane-spotting' near a foreign military airfield, for sure (unless you are trying to dramatically increase the length of your holiday, and don't want to do any more sight-seeing 😉

Indeed. A whole new meaning to ‘free accommodation’ 😱🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Barry Fitz-Gerald said:

No personal experience but I understand Egypt is not a bino-friendly country if that is your destination.

Any idea why? :o luckily that's not my destination though!

1 hour ago, SwiMatt said:

Any idea why? :o luckily that's not my destination though!

Concerns over safety, security and spying is the official line from the government, but you can buy them freely once in the country!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mandy D said:

Concerns over safety, security and spying is the official line from the government, but you can buy them freely once in the country!

I always dreamed of going to Egypt and buy a nice pair of binoculars there 🤣

• Haha 2