Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Zoom-fest

John

2 hours ago, John said:

Thanks for the interest. I learned a long time ago not to jump to any conclusions when comparing optical equipment. I need to have several decent sessions using the eyepieces on a variety of targets with scopes of different specifications. Due to the weather conditions I have managed just two short sessions under mediocre conditions which told me very little about the comparative merits of these zooms I'm afraid. 

I'm very glad that I don't review equipment like this for magazines where there are deadlines to be met. It must be very difficult to gather enough experience to compose something useful with the current UK conditions🙄

I think all in the UK feel your pain atm John, just to be able to do some garden double hunting would be nice but alas, the cloud gods do conspire against us!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John said:

Thanks for the interest. I learned a long time ago not to jump to any conclusions when comparing optical equipment. I need to have several decent sessions using the eyepieces on a variety of targets with scopes of different specifications. Due to the weather conditions I have managed just two short sessions under mediocre conditions which told me very little about the comparative merits of these zooms I'm afraid. 

I'm very glad that I don't review equipment like this for magazines where there are deadlines to be met. It must be very difficult to gather enough experience to compose something useful with the current UK conditions🙄

Very wise. It takes time to reach good conclusions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John said:

Very wise. It takes time to reach good conclusions.

6 hours ago, Louis D said:

Some folks over on CN have been using a 1.25" to 2" Step Up Ring screwed onto the 1.25" filter threads of their ASZ to prevent it from smashing into their diagonal optics, especially prism ones, when used in 2" mode.  The ring's 2" outer surface will stop at the diagonal's 2" safety lip that prevents 2" eyepieces from inserting too far.  It might also be useful for other hybrid eyepieces with extraordinarily long 1.25" barrels when used in 2" mode in diagonals without a lot of excess insertion distance.

Great idea.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Louis D said:

Some folks over on CN have been using a 1.25" to 2" Step Up Ring screwed onto the 1.25" filter threads of their ASZ to prevent it from smashing into their diagonal optics, especially prism ones, when used in 2" mode.  The ring's 2" outer surface will stop at the diagonal's 2" safety lip that prevents 2" eyepieces from inserting too far.  It might also be useful for other hybrid eyepieces with extraordinarily long 1.25" barrels when used in 2" mode in diagonals without a lot of excess insertion distance.

Thanks Louis - that sounds a good suggestion. 

Edited by John

9 hours ago, John said:

'm very glad that I don't review equipment like this for magazines where there are deadlines to be met. It must be very difficult to gather enough experience to compose something useful with the current UK conditions🙄

Tell me about it! Several years ago I had a looming deadline for Astronomy Now after a run of bad weather. I ended up booking a long weekend in a cottage in a part of the country with a better forecast. Needless to say the review cost me money but my wife enjoyed the weekend away so it wasn’t all bad. And the weather was good!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2023 at 11:23, bomberbaz said:

I think all in the UK feel your pain atm John, just to be able to do some garden double hunting would be nice but alas, the cloud gods do conspire against us!

The same over here in Canada for the last quite a few weeks !

• Like 1

Not sure how I missed this first time round! Really interested to hear your thoughts once you are in position to give them.

I own the APM zoom and I'm very happy with it, and I'm strongly considering the svbony zoom primarily for use in a lightweight travel kit type use case. 

@John I think you have a small, fast-ish refractor, of the 70mm/F6 ish variety, if memory serves? I'd love to know how well the Svbony works with that scope, as I'd likely use mine with my ZS73 (73mm/F5.9).

• Like 1