Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The HEM15 has landed

I have just received my HEM15 mount (with iPolar electronic polar scope) and corresponding tripod. It is considerably lighter than even the AM5 I have, and is an ideal mount to travel by air. The mount and tripod weigh in at just shy of 5 kg in total, and can carry 8.2 kg (without counterweight), which should be fine for e.g. hunting solar eclipses in remote areas. On the whole the mount feels solid, but the dovetail clamp does look and feel a bit on the flimsy side. The little plastic lever used to tighten it feels particularly light, but you can tighten it with the Allen key supplied with the mount (and neatly stored under the polar axis.

52996064781_b34f66e857_o.thumb.jpg.86969f8add3c91989da9cceda4029a92.jpg

52995458992_e4ae0c33a9_o.thumb.jpg.6cf30565913319d16d242023325b4f0b.jpg

The mount comes in a handy carrying case, and I like the fact it has a hand controller, rather than forcing me to use an app on the phone or tablet.

I have yet to use it in anger, and the coming nights aren't very promising, but I will report back as soon as I can get this thing working either for solar or under the stars

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Looks like a good bit of kit that does, I would be happy with that myself. 

Had a look at the clamp and see what you mean.

I guess it depends what you looking at putting on it. If it was EG a 72ED, I would have no concerns. If it was say a 150P-DS I would be inclined to sway it for something more substantial.

The rest of it looks a sublime piece of engineering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

Had a look at the clamp and see what you mean.

I guess it depends what you looking at putting on it. If it was EG a 72ED, I would have no concerns. If it was say a 150P-DS I would be inclined to sway it for something more substantial.

The rest of it looks a sublime piece of engineering.

I will first try the APM 80 mm F/6, and the Coronado SolarMax-II 60 mm. Later I might go for a dual set-up like the APM 80 with a 400 mm telephoto and EOS M6 mk-II

Great start, the 12v in is a different size to the 12v out so my asiair cables won't fit the in. Brilliant. They're both a different size, why? (Well I know why but now I have to source some new cables)

Edited by Elp

Thanks, I ordered a few earlier. Mount seems okay, just a bit unsure whether using the CEM/GEM28/HEM27 option will work with the asiair as the hem15 is too new ATM. It moves okay when issuing commands, only time under the stars will tell.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Elp said:

Thanks, I ordered a few earlier. Mount seems okay, just a bit unsure whether using the CEM/GEM28/HEM27 option will work with the asiair as the hem15 is too new ATM. It moves okay when issuing commands, only time under the stars will tell.

As it is the little brother of the HEM27, and if all the iOptron mounts you mention use the same commands, I would guess it should work

Dec balance I would think is essential, tried to test last night but altitude fixed adjustment presented a slight issue, this is where the am3 and am5 would be easier. Definitely do not try to adjust this during the dark or outside. For the cost difference however I'm willing to live with it. Didn't really want a hand controller but I suppose I can PA with the asiair, then if I want to save on power just use the handset and in built tracking which remains to be tested.

• Like 1

Some progress, managed to fit it inside a case around 42pc of the originals volume, now I can store it all with my C6 in one backpack on back, CF tripod in one hand, AP rig portable. (Granted the AC plug didn't fit but I don't need it):

DSC_32922.thumb.JPG.cdcdc464a97dae07fdda255832cf96a7.JPG

• Like 4

Managed to try it with my C6 w HS. It's quite a relief not having counterweights as the whole thing could be comfortably lifted via one hand under the tripod and carrying it next to the body for support rather than needing two hands for stability with a gem.

Guiding was a bit of an issue, seeing wasn't too bad but I couldn't get it below an average value of 1.2-1.5 RMS, tried short 0.5 to 3s guide exposures, it worked best at 1s. Looking at the graph the Dec was also working better than the Ra which you would not expect. Best average went down to around 0.8 RMS total but quickly went back up again. Subs weren't too bad so I guess will see next time, also need to try other imaging rigs to see the result.

PA was around 45 arcsec east heavy.

Slewing speed is quite fast which is good for when testing E W payload balance.

Typical guide graph from last session:

Screenshot_20230708-020319.thumb.png.4c9a49dfbc632624f3385b22635e384b.png

Also the small 5.5 x 2.5mm male to 5.5 x 2.1mm female plugs for the 12v in weren't very good, although there was no issue whilst imaging, when I was manually adjusting the scope it kept turning the power on and off at the slightest touch. Now going to try a short converter extension cable instead.

Edited by Elp

On 08/07/2023 at 09:51, Elp said:

Managed to try it with my C6 w HS.

Hey Elp. Thanks for sharing your findings with the HEM15. Im also a bit surprised by the RA error. I would love to see a picture of your rig - if at all possible? No worries if not.

29 minutes ago, Elp said:

Here's a very rough photo:

Cheers. I really cant get used to seeing such a lump of a scope on a tiny mount like that! Regards your RA error - what was the RA angle when you tested? Closer to home position, or a side heavy 90 degrees like in your image?

Edited by soojooko

On 08/07/2023 at 09:51, Elp said:

Managed to try it with my C6 w HS. It's quite a relief not having counterweights as the whole thing could be comfortably lifted via one hand under the tripod and carrying it next to the body for support rather than needing two hands for stability with a gem.

Guiding was a bit of an issue, seeing wasn't too bad but I couldn't get it below an average value of 1.2-1.5 RMS, tried short 0.5 to 3s guide exposures, it worked best at 1s. Looking at the graph the Dec was also working better than the Ra which you would not expect. Best average went down to around 0.8 RMS total but quickly went back up again. Subs weren't too bad so I guess will see next time, also need to try other imaging rigs to see the result.

PA was around 45 arcsec east heavy.

Slewing speed is quite fast which is good for when testing E W payload balance.

Typical guide graph from last session:

Screenshot_20230708-020319.thumb.png.4c9a49dfbc632624f3385b22635e384b.png

Also the small 5.5 x 2.5mm male to 5.5 x 2.1mm female plugs for the 12v in weren't very good, although there was no issue whilst imaging, when I was manually adjusting the scope it kept turning the power on and off at the slightest touch. Now going to try a short converter extension cable instead.

I always expect Dec to work better than RA as if you are well aligned the Dec should not even need to move lol. 

1 hour ago, Elp said:

As imaged, that was after a meridian flip, it was on the opposite side a few minutes earlier and same guiding RMS total.

Maybe try having RA in home position and do a guiding test on a random bit of sky? Looking at your image, that's a lot of unbalanced weight on the left side of the tripod. Comparing the error in this position to RA home position might give you some insights as to whether balancing is affecting your RMS.