Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The HEM15 has landed

It was a first test so I'll see, I'm interested to see what the 1000mm FL guiding will be like via OAG.

Guiding In comparison with my azgti (200-400FL)  typically no matter what I've imaged wherever in the sky manages 1.2 to 1.5 average from the get go and usually goes lower. It however can't handle the C6 for imaging.

The massive benefit is (as well as with my azgti), I can fit the whole AP lot inside one backpack, carbon tripod carries easily by hand separately. All my setups are now one bag solutions which was always the aim.

Edited by Elp

On 08/07/2023 at 09:51, Elp said:

Also the small 5.5 x 2.5mm male to 5.5 x 2.1mm female plugs for the 12v in weren't very good, although there was no issue whilst imaging, when I was manually adjusting the scope it kept turning the power on and off at the slightest touch. Now going to try a short converter extension cable instead.

This short extension cable sorted this problem out:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/COLM-Female-Adapter-Monitor-Camera-5-5mm-x-2-5mm/dp/B07KC7F97H/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=35L0HW9F2XPJW&keywords=colm+dc+power+cord&qid=1689182225&sprefix=colm+dc+%2Caps%2C1130&sr=8-2

• 4 weeks later...

Same target as last time so weight distribution the same and scope pointed at similar elevation. Guiding this time I managed to get down to 0.7-0.8 RMS even after dithering with fast 0.5s guide exposures. Due to fast moving thin clouds changed it to 1s guide exposures and it settled around 1-1.3 RMS. Images were fine in either case.

• 5 months later...

I've done a minor "upgrade" if you can call it that, it should have really come out of the factory like this. For the azimuth locking levers, I took them apart and inserted 1 off nylon washer under the screw-in bolt shoulders so when tightening them theres none of that metal crunch you can feel when the metal lever interferes with the azimuth base, much softer locking mechanism now. They still however knock out polar alignment so I only very gently  lock them up to the point they're not really locked in place.