NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn and its moons on summer solstice (21/6/23)

Kon

This is my first capture of Saturn this season. I was up more for the summer solstice occasion than imaging . Pretty stable seeing but the constant passing clouds ruined the captures but I managed a few decent videos. It is still early days but both the colour and IR images are looking ok. I feel rusty with the processing but I will get there. I was surprised that during the processing I could see Titan, Rhea and Tethys upon playing with the gamma levels. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mm and 462mc, IR pass and UV/IR cut filters, 2.5xTV powermate.

image.png.421c8658c99663a82e289717fa41dabc.pngimage.png.1ced25902e51adbc8f3ab6e3d111782d.png

• Like 18

51 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Good to see you getting in some early captures. Good result 

Surprisingly stable seeing. It was the first time my histogram was not all over the place but a shame about the clouds.

I think collimation needs a bit tweaking (weekend job) as the IR could have been sharper. Good to be out and getting the teething issues early on. 

55 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Nice capture Kostas👍 I’m really looking forward to the Jovian giants appearing in our evening/night sky again.

Thanks. It is not far off. I am quite excited with Jupiter higher up this year. Let's hope the good seeing we are having continues. 

• Like 1

I do like seeing images of the gas giants with some of their moons. And it might just be me but in this case it adds to a feeling of 3D.

I got up early to try and do some visual on Saturn, but went straight back to bed - in Southampton I had total cloud cover. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

I do like seeing images of the gas giants with some of their moons. And it might just be me but in this case it adds to a feeling of 3D.

I got up early to try and do some visual on Saturn, but went straight back to bed - in Southampton I had total cloud cover. 

Thanks Peter. Yes I managed a few clear spells but still hazy. I agree about the 3d feeling. If you also open the ir alongside the colour and flick back/forwards you can see the moons rotating as well. It is a shame the weather did not hold to capture a nice rotation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...