Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Muston Observatory (nr Filey, North Yorks)

I have now completed a major configuration change in the observatory with addition of a Primaluce Labs Eagle 3S. (thanks to Aaran B if he is on this site)

The whole setup now looks a lot more tidier and it is barely a 10 minute job to switch from DSLR "widefield" imaging to an additional telescope by replacing the camera bracket and adding the WO Zenithstar 73 APO.

The main scope is currently setup for Planetary/Lunar imaging with the SkyWatcher Equinox ED120 (900mm) coupled to a Canon 60D (astro modified) + 2x barlow, Scopetronix Maxview DSLR II with a 25mm eyepiece. This combination provides a 72x magnification at f/15 with a 78° field of view. However, the Canon 60D has a "movie crop mode" which can further extend the magnification by 7x.  

Most of my astrophotography is done using a DSLR approach as I deliver talks nationally to clubs and societies - most of which are photography based and it is easier to share the approach/workflow taken using familiar equipment. The included photo of Jupiter is only a single photo but shows a fair amount of promise (Canon 60D).

Roll on a nice clear night as I am desperate to capture M1 (The Crab Nebula) at high magnification !!

The DSLR on top is for guided widefield captures and this can easily be swapped out with other cameras (friends/visitors).
Autoguiding is provided by the reliable StarAid Revolution revision B - this works an absolute treat but following a few exceptional "live-streaming" events from the developers 16 months ago it has all gone very quiet at StarAid HQ. Was hoping there might have been a software update for further goodies by now  

The observatory is a SkyShed Pod and out of picture is an interior "drainpipe/gutter" that takes care of the leak problem at the hinges which can be a issue with this design in windy/rainy locations.

So apologies in advance for the clouds !!

Steve 

eagle3s_3.jpg

obscontrol.jpg

jupy3.jpg

california_1.jpg

Rosette Nebula_LIGHT_180s_1600iso_+9c_20201219-22h36m12s723ms.jpg

• Like 4