Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

RiponJas

Hello from Yorkshire

Hi all.. 

New to astronomy,  bought my son a cheap telescope for Xmas and have enjoyed viewing with him so just bought myself a 250mm dob. Pleased to say it arrived today so started off with a bit of moon viewing.  Must admit I've had a lovely evening! 

Can see me investing quite a bit of time and money into this. Look forward to hearing from some of you members as time goes on. 

Jas

Welcome. It seems that you’re hooked!

Enjoy. ?

Cheers for the warm welcome. Hope I can learn a lot from on here as I don't really know much at all!! 

Hi, Jas, and welcome to SGL.

6 hours ago, RiponJas said:

Hope I can learn a lot from on here

Just post any questions on the appropriate board and you will find a wealth of knowledge and experience, together with a willingness to share it.

Cheers for that. As I start to find stuff out and generally confuse myself I'll be sure to start posting questions.. 

Welcome, good to see another member from the "Yorkshire branch".

• Like 1

Gods own county... Lived all over but keep coming back. Love the place.. 

• Like 1

Hi Jas from land down under

Also have a 250mm collapsible dob

If you attached some Baader Solar film underside of small hole of the plastic lid, then also be able top observe the sun

Attached image solar eclipse back in 2011

Cheers

John

Solar Eclipse.jpg

Hello Jas and welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy your time with us.

Cheers chaps. Certainly picking up useful snippets of information already so can't be all bad... 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Grigs
      Just thought I would say hi to everyone. 
      I am a Noob, but have been googling astronomy for past year, so am familiar with some of the lighter terminology.  
      Most of my googles have directed me to this site, so I have already read forum posts here numerous times.
      Have already acquired quite a bit of kit, but just not found the time to try it out yet. 
      This should hopefully change soon as I am expecting to have a lot more spare time in a couple of months. 
      Being in the Midlands in the UK, I am not currently missing much, due to the current cloudy weather here. 
      I am looking forward to picking your brains and in time posting some of my experiences here. 
      Kindest regards, 
      Geo.

• By Ziopliukas
      Hello there! I'd like to start off by saying that I'm completely new at this so please don't get mad if I seem ignorant or don't know things. I recently came across a recommendation to go stargazing with night vision and that seemed like a really cool experience so that's why I'm here now. I wanted to ask whether it's possible to do that while spending less than $100? Obviously since I'm only getting into stargazing I wouldn't need anything too amazing, but I'm wondering whether it'd be very bad with equipment for under $100 and would it instead be better to find someone to lend from.  If it is indeed possible to achieve something fairly decent for a beginner for under $100, what would be your recommendations? Thank you!
    • By ukuleledaveey
      Hello All, as you are aware i am new here and also new to this wonderful hobby, as you may be aware i am a total newbie,no experience or knowledge, so i am at your mercy ?. Last weekend i was lucky enough to purchase a second hand Skyliner 200p, which came with a 10mm & 25mm  eyepieces, i know i shouldn't rush in as i need to get collimating tool, but i really fancy getting a zoom eye piece, i wondered if you guys n gals had any thoughts or recommendations on such, if possible i wouldn't mind getting a second hand one, i have seen one at Harrisons that i quite like 
      skywatcher-8-24mm-zoom-eyepiece-1.25
      Anyway thanks for reading and i will probably be asking tons and tons of questions, sorry about that, but you area wonderful friendly and knowledgeable lot,many thanks and best regards
      Dave
    • By Sunnaroe
      To save time getting right to the point-Ive owned a celestron skyprodigy 90 and that scope alone made me feel more powerful than ever.Im planning on spending close to 2,000 on a new setup with a far larger aperture and although I love the cassegrain goto scopes from celestron and Meade,I’ve been wondering if my budget should go toward a custom dobsonian.
       My dream begins with landing a setup within that budget and choosing the right attachments to be able to study the moon up close and personal.If you can imagine it I’d like to be able to at least recognize a footprint if there is one.Im assuming this is possible while so many scopes can see so much further away like other planets and such.
       I’m more than grateful for any input that you’ve learned the hard way or any financial corners I can cut while still being true to the game.

Thanks in advance.
    • By Rashka
      Hey guys,
      I have visited this site a couple times some time ago while I was searching for a pair of binoculars, I decided to start with a 7x50 and on one clear night(Which we don't get much over here xD) me and my family had a great view of the moon and even my father who couldn't care less about astronomy came out to see. I recently also bought a tripod and a mount but it seems the mount adaptor doesn't  fit my binoculars because I think it is meant for new ones and the ones I have are probably old(prob why I got them for a tenner on ebay) I bought another adaptor which also didn't fit which I returned. So now I am turning to you guys for help and I hope you guys got answers
      I got:
      Super Zenith 7x50
      (not my pic but mine are similar)
      Thanks in advance!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.