Venus UV 19th April 2023

neil phillips

Turns out Venus is going more west than i realized. Which i am pleased about, as the scope wasn't cooled. a mad rush to get something. Stella lyra 7" classical cassegrain. ZWO 178MM Baader Bessel U photometric filter.

Native F12 (no Barlow) this is with the 178 optical window attached. I am not removing it. Its just a matter of time before dust gets on in my experience. And its a pitta to get off. Now i know i can image Venus. i am going to clean my 10 Orion, and get that on it. see what i can get. but for a rushed, effort, now hovering low around 20 degrees windy conditions. clearly there is UV  cloud there. Hopefully better will be coming soon with the Orion

uv.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 12

Nice capture Neil. Clouds looking nice and smooth without noise!

11 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

178 optical window attached. I am not removing it. Its just a matter of time before dust gets on in my experience. And its a pitta to get off.

Hmmm.....you have me worried now...I might try some more experiments with the AR back on.

Edited by Kon

Just now, Kon said:

Nice capture Neil. Clouds looking nice and smooth without noise!

Hmmm.....you have me worried now...I might try some more experiments with the AR back on.

Noise on Venus is a no no. Yeah its one of those things. you can stay dust free for ages. Then you jolt the camera, drop it even on a bed. it jolts dust onto the chip ( or can i should say ) My lunar imaging is too important to risk, the hassle. For some UV gain. its just a personal choice. Hope my Orion mirror cleans up there is something on there. Just hope when i clean it. i don't get to a situation of a recoat. We shall see. But the Orion should do better on Venus I've seen what it can do. 

great the Stella lyra for a quick rushed setup though. couldn't do that with the Orion. it all has to be planned. 

Edited by neil phillips

13 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Noise on Venus is a no no. Yeah its one of those things. you can stay dust free for ages. Then you jolt the camera, drop it even on a bed. it jolts dust onto the chip ( or can i should say ) My lunar imaging is too important to risk, the hassle. For some UV gain. its just a personal choice. Hope my Orion mirror cleans up there is something on there. Just hope when i clean it. i don't get to a situation of a recoat. We shall see. But the Orion should do better on Venus I've seen what it can do. 

great the Stella lyra for a quick rushed setup though. couldn't do that with the Orion. it all has to be planned. 

I hope the cleaning goes to plan and no further issues.  I thought the new scope was a 12" Stella lyra (signature says 8"), unless i got my facts wrong?  

7 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Well done Neil! Nice image straight off the bat! Great to see you join the Venus party 😉

Cheers hopefully better will be coming. Not sure if i can use this filter wheel. here. I hope so, do a false color image. Thought i remember last time i tried having problems, but we shall see

Edited by neil phillips

2 hours ago, Kon said:

I hope the cleaning goes to plan and no further issues.  I thought the new scope was a 12" Stella lyra (signature says 8"), unless i got my facts wrong?  

I have three scopes left now Orion 245mm. Stella lyra 8" (7.3") Classical Cassegrain. And 12 " stella lyra dob. can see how i could confuse people. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pete Presland said:

Looks very good Neil, some very nice details visible there.

Cheers Pete it was very rushed.  I didn't start setting up until i should have already been imaging. Will be disappointed, if i cant improve on this considerably quite soon.

• Like 1

On 20/04/2023 at 21:53, neil phillips said:

Cheers Pete it was very rushed.  I didn't start setting up until i should have already been imaging. Will be disappointed, if i cant improve on this considerably quite soon.

I am sure when you at a higher altitude the details will improve