NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

You tube channel launched

18 minutes ago, Astro74 said:

Lancashire local astronomer and scientist Robert Ince has launched his own You Tube channel - it’s an invaluable resource for beginners and the more experienced 

https://www.youtube.com/@StargazerRobUK

Are you sure? All I see a handful of very short timelapse videos and nothing educational at all.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shimrod said:

Are you sure? All I see a handful of very short timelapse videos and nothing educational at all.

New content will be added over time only launched today 👍🏼 

As an 'invaluable resource' it struck me as staggeringly underwhelming unless the link is not the one intended by the OP. The link to Astrofarm is unfortunate since the much-appreciated Andrew Davies died some time ago. What, exactly, is the point of this post?

Olly

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

It’s ok Jim I’ll step in 👍🏼 I think the point is that it was a post to be helpful perhaps however the point has been missed as perhaps not the arena for it maybe ? Robert is a local legend in our neck of the woods and is a much respected astronomer who has decided to launch an on line resource which hopefully as time goes on will be a good watch for enthusiasts, I for one learnt everything I know locally from Robert over the last 10 years or so and he’s extremely knowledgable. 

Edited by Beardy30
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

It’s ok Jim I’ll step in 👍🏼 I think the point is that it was a post to be helpful perhaps however the point has been missed as perhaps not the arena for it maybe ? Robert is a local legend in our Neville if the woods and is a much respected astronomer who has decided to launch an on line resource which hopefully as time goes on will be a good watch for enthusiasts, I for one learnt everything I know locally from Robert over the last 10 years or so and he’s extremely knowledgable. 

Thanks 😊- content will be added to with live stargazing sessions and Astro live photography sessions 

2 hours ago, Beardy30 said:

It’s ok Jim I’ll step in 👍🏼 I think the point is that it was a post to be helpful perhaps however the point has been missed as perhaps not the arena for it maybe ? Robert is a local legend in our neck of the woods and is a much respected astronomer who has decided to launch an on line resource which hopefully as time goes on will be a good watch for enthusiasts, I for one learnt everything I know locally from Robert over the last 10 years or so and he’s extremely knowledgable. 

The point wasn't missed - the post describes it as ' an invaluable resource for beginners and the more experienced' yet there's nothing there. It may become one in time, but there's absolutely no content of interest or value there at the moment.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

The point wasn't missed - the post describes it as ' an invaluable resource for beginners and the more experienced' yet there's nothing there. It may become one in time, but there's absolutely no content of interest or value there at the moment.

Well I apologise for wasting your time 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

Probably best to wait until there is some valuable resources on the channel before it is mentioned….👍🏻

Hard to define what valuable to one person or not ? I think perhaps just ignoring the negatives would be best 

Putting yourself "out there" can be valuable self-discipline to do more. Not least to avoid disappointing followers.
The pressure to keep providing more content increases as views and viewers begins to build.
Astronomy is a "narrow interest" subject unless one's "shining" personality becomes the entertainment in itself. Astrobiscuit? 😊
Providing videos on astronomical subjects is no guarantee of success. Nor even more than a modest following.
Many of my own videos have a mere few hundred views after many years. Poor titling? Poor content? Who knows?
I have deliberately avoided appearing in my own videos except for personal amusement. A nod to: "This week I has mostly.."
There seems to be a trend for alarmist titles as click bait: "Don't buy this until you've clicked and subscribed!"  :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rusted said:

Putting yourself "out there" can be valuable self-discipline to do more. Not least to avoid disappointing followers.
The pressure to keep providing more content increases as views and viewers begins to build.
Astronomy is a "narrow interest" subject unless one's "shining" personality becomes the entertainment in itself. Astrobiscuit? 😊
Providing videos on astronomical subjects is no guarantee of success. Nor even more than a modest following.
Many of my own videos have a mere few hundred views after many years. Poor titling? Poor content? Who knows?
I have deliberately avoided appearing in my own videos except for personal amusement. A nod to: "This week I has mostly.."
There seems to be a trend for alarmist titles as click bait: "Don't buy this until you've clicked and subscribed!"  :rolleyes:

Exactly, hence my comment, wait till you have some good videos with content well worth watching, before you start to advertise yourself. If you promote yourself too soon, as has been done here, then the negative comments start to come in, and you are on the back foot right away, and putting yourself under pressure to produce more, and that’s not what you want….I think the OP jumped the gun a bit saying that there was good stuff to come,  now it needs to come very very quickly….

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Astro74 said:

Hard to define what valuable to one person or not ? I think perhaps just ignoring the negatives would be best 

You had no problem doing that in the first post when you announced the channel! I don't think anyone here has any problem with another channel sharing hints, tips, guidance and reviews for astronomy but it really needs to have some actual content before it can be described as a valuable resource. 

Edit: You've also put Mr. Ince on the spot if he hadn't given you permission to post this.

Edited by Shimrod
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, 900SL said:

It's a tough crowd here tonight  😂

Yes, and it could turn ugly 900SL, maybe we should stop broadcasting and seek shelter while we can.  Back to you guys in the studio. 🤭

Edited by Moonshed
  • Haha 2

Given the way the YouTube algorithms work, "promoting" your own channel on forums, facebook and other social media is often seen as the way to get traffic to the channel.  This would appear to be working as the channel has 57 subscribers as of 10.30am today.  The content of some short time-lapse star trails isn't really what I would call 'invaluable resource" but I guess is better than having no content at all or a talking head shot stating your aims.

Having had a youtube channel for around 6 years (nothing related to astronomy) I've made posts to promote my latest video on relevant forums, even embedding the video into the post to boost the view count and get more people to visit the channel and watch other videos.  But I initially created the channel as a place to store the videos and share them between friends and family.  It still has less than 600 subscribers, but that don't bother me.  A few of the videos have several thousand views, with one topping 80K views....  And no click bait is used.

Hopefully the OPs channel will grow, and will have some professional quality productions covering topics that interest both the beginner and experienced amateur astronomer alike, and it does become a invaluable resource as claimed.  The one thing I dislike with so many channels is due to the monetisation requirements the videos are used as a promotional platform to get people to become members of  patreon, and constantly push the subscriptions options.  It seems more people are focused on making money, or boosting subscriber count than simply documenting or sharing quality content 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, malc-c said:

Given the way the YouTube algorithms work, "promoting" your own channel on forums, facebook and other social media is often seen as the way to get traffic to the channel.  This would appear to be working as the channel has 57 subscribers as of 10.30am today.  The content of some short time-lapse star trails isn't really what I would call 'invaluable resource" but I guess is better than having no content at all or a talking head shot stating your aims.

Having had a youtube channel for around 6 years (nothing related to astronomy) I've made posts to promote my latest video on relevant forums, even embedding the video into the post to boost the view count and get more people to visit the channel and watch other videos.  But I initially created the channel as a place to store the videos and share them between friends and family.  It still has less than 600 subscribers, but that don't bother me.  A few of the videos have several thousand views, with one topping 80K views....  And no click bait is used.

Hopefully the OPs channel will grow, and will have some professional quality productions covering topics that interest both the beginner and experienced amateur astronomer alike, and it does become a invaluable resource as claimed.  The one thing I dislike with so many channels is due to the monetisation requirements the videos are used as a promotional platform to get people to become members of  patreon, and constantly push the subscriptions options.  It seems more people are focused on making money, or boosting subscriber count than simply documenting or sharing quality content 

Indeed. I've become adept at spotting the transition point, from enthusiastic amateur to product placing self promoting 'media star' 😂 

And seriously, there are people on youtube who shouldn't be there. Some of them don't know wth they are doing, either in terms of technical capability. knowledge, or video production and presentation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

Exactly, hence my comment, wait till you have some good videos with content well worth watching, before you start to advertise yourself. If you promote yourself too soon, as has been done here, then the negative comments start to come in, and you are on the back foot right away, and putting yourself under pressure to produce more, and that’s not what you want….I think the OP jumped the gun a bit saying that there was good stuff to come,  now it needs to come very very quickly….

Just doing a mate favour pal - chill out 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 900SL said:

It's a tough crowd here tonight  😂

Unbelievable tbh - I think there’s some incredibly rude people in here , so disrespectful and disgusting tbh as if I would spot anything without Robs permission- how dare they suggest that 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Astro74 said:

Unbelievable tbh - I think there’s some incredibly rude people in here , so disrespectful and disgusting tbh as if I would spot anything without Robs permission- how dare they suggest that 

To be fair, your opening post makes a statement that appears to be, at present, unwarranted.

'it’s an invaluable resource for beginners and the more experienced'

Perhaps you could edit this to future tense?

Everybody should just calm down. There's much worse going on in the world right now :)

Edited by 900SL
  • Like 3