Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Atik, QSI & SX Camera pages on FLO

tomato

Sorry if I have missed this somehow or it might be a routine update thing that I have not come across before but I was just trying to look up the pixel size of the Atik 383 camera on FLO and noticed all but one of the Atik cameras have disappeared and all of the QSI cameras have gone also. They are still there on their respective websites. On a similar theme, Starlight Express only has their guide and ASC cameras displayed, all the ZWO stuff is still there.

I think Atik have stopped making the CCD cameras.  But as you say keeping the specs on a separate page on Atik’s website would be helpful as people are still using them.   I certainly am. 

Not sure about the QSI cameras though.   I recall having a conversation about them at Astrofest but as l don’t have one l didn’t retain the info.  

Might we worth contacting them. 

Carole

Edited by carastro
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it could be they are not being actively marketed, and I dare say sales of new CCD cameras must have gone through the floor.

It was nice to have all the camera specs in one place but I guess that’s progress.☺️

• Like 1

The sale of second hand CCD cameras has also gone through the floor 😪

l was going to sell one of mine Atik428EX but seeing the low price someone else had to sell for thought l would rather keep it than give it away.  Might come in useful at some point. 

Carole

Edited by carastro

4 hours ago, tomato said:

Sorry if I have missed this somehow or it might be a routine update thing that I have not come across before but I was just trying to look up the pixel size of the Atik 383 camera on FLO and noticed all but one of the Atik cameras have disappeared and all of the QSI cameras have gone also. They are still there on their respective websites. On a similar theme, Starlight Express only has their guide and ASC cameras displayed, all the ZWO stuff is still there.

Atik is no longer developing new models. They are, however, working on some new QSI series CMOS cameras (Atik own QSI). We know at least three are in the pipeline: a QSI 533 CMOS (due mid-late 2023), a QSI571 CMOS (due end-2023) and a QSI 455 CMOS (due early-2024). They say the QSI571 will have some "interesting features", one of which will be a "first in the astronomy camera market". We look forward to posting info and adding the new cameras to our website. 

Starlight Xpress is also working on some new CMOS models, although we know little about them. We will post details here at SGL and update our website when we do know. 

Currently, you can still buy CCD cameras from both Atik and Starlight Xpress. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carastro said:

The sale of second hand CCD cameras has also gone through the floor 😪

l was going to sell one of mine Atik428EX but seeing the low price someone else had to sell for thought l would rather keep it than give it away.  Might come in useful at some point. 

Carole

I think I may have bought the one you're referring too and it's still a really good camera which I'm enjoying using.

These days, second hand CCD cameras are a cheap but good quality starting point for those wanting to get into mono astrophotography. Agreed, not so great if you're trying to sell them though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tomato said:

It’s odd that used CCDs can’t hold their price, it has been said many times that the advent of CMOS has not suddenly made CCDs incapable of producing a first class image.

Exactly, but everyone seems to want CMOS now.  

Carole

It’s not so much a VHS/beta issue, just that CMOS sensors are better suited to quick lucky imaging in the UK, where imaging quality nights are a rarity especially this year.

I still have a couple of CCD cameras, but most are now CMOS.  The transfer was not cheap, as has been pointed out the price for CCD units plummeted offering little offset to buying new IMX571/455 units. Was it worth it, hell yes for me.

• 3 weeks later...