Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

VX10/2.5XO/2.4HR

jetstream

Well, an unexpected clear sky as I was halfway done my evening walk had me high stepping it back home to get the VX10 ready. I had re painted the whole interior, blacked everything right out including the sec edges, spider, interior of focuser tube, flocked opposite the focuser ect. It is a high contrast scope. Even my EP adapters are painted flat black on the bottom. The optics are rated at 1/8PV and a high Strehl.

The moon was lower than I like but the seeing appeared stable as the scope cooled- and yes it turned out vg. The Leica Aspheric zoom/VIP was first enlisted and provided nice cool down views. The views got so good around 240x that I ran to get the new Pentax 2.5XO and the 2.4 and 3.4 HR's.

This is round one with the 2.5XO and is more impression than anything else. I used the fine ejecta around Atlas (?) as a test base. Obviously sharp in the LZ, very sharp in the 3.4mm at 352x and the fine ejecta remained extremely sharp - in spurts- in both the 2.5XO and 2.4HR. What struck me was the image brightness going from the 3.4mm to the 2.5XO- the 2.5XO remained very bright at .5mm exit pupil, and was a tad brighter than the 2.4mm HR to my eyes. The snap focus on both the 2.5XO and 2.4 HR was very fast, but there was a winner- the 2.5XO by a small but noticeable margin. Maybe this will change in another scope , I dont know. The TSA120 snap is so brutally fast with the 2.4HR that it is hard to imagine the XO could be any faster in this scope- time will tell.

So the 10" and the 2.5 XO/2.4 HR did not limit me to 480x, but the seeing and local thermals did.  I can tell right now, from one session that the 2.5mm XO is a wickedly good eyepiece, and not unfriendly to use, mind you I'm an experienced ortho user, even in the 24".

Much more time is needed with the XO and I cant wait to get it on Jupiter and Saturn when high up with the fracs, This one use was all it took to confirm the 2.5XO is a superb piece of glass and now I must find a 5mm XO, for sure. No question.

Gerry

• Like 10

Hi Gerry, enjoyed your enthusiastic report👍

My highest power eyepieces are the venerable TV 3-6 zoom, and a Vixen LV 2.5.  In excellent and rare moments those eyepieces work well, giving satisfying views on double stars.

But I’m told by a trusted local friend that high end fixed focal length eyepieces beat my 3-6 zoom, and my LV 2.5.

I can see in your equipment list you also have a 3-6 zoom, your comments appreciated.

Ed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

But I’m told by a trusted local friend that high end fixed focal length eyepieces beat my 3-6 zoom, and my LV 2.5.

I can see in your equipment list you also have a 3-6 zoom, your comments appreciated.

The 3-6 NZ is a very nice, very handy and sharp eyepiece. I use one in the H130 and the fracs. Its small size is a great asset for what I use it for. Nice choice in getting one Ed.

Your trusted friend is correct, there are eyepieces out there that are sharper than the excellent 3-6 NZ. To my eyes the transmission is a bit lower in the NZ, but this is ok for lunar/planetary and can be an asset depending on the scope.

Whether or not it would be worth it to you depends on a few things.

I use orthos in my big dobs and love them- for a little while and for certain things like PN's. The very narrow FOV is not for everyone and neither is the eye relief. The fracs love the likes of the Vixen HR... better ER, nice eyecup vs orthos or XO.

The XO/HR/s are a bit- but noticeably sharper than Delos... and Delos are very sharp.They are also a bit sharper than the Docter which is sharper than the Delos.

In reality -IMHO- the telescope optics can limit "eye piece" sharpness ie the scope should not limit the sharpness available, nor should the eyepieces. We should only be limited by seeing IMHO, as I was last night. If the telescope intended for use with an HR is not the limiting factor and you have reasonable seeing to utilize the extra sharpness owning one is worth it.

You cant use one if you dont own one...

I would recommend the 3.4mm HR to you, but make sure its a good one as @Don Pensack says there were issues with some.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Sounds like you need a Vixen HR 2.0, Gerry 😊

Hey Jeremy, old buddy, old pal, ol' friend o' mine!!!... I have a great 4mm University Optics 4mm!! trade ya, trade ya !!!:icon_bounce: :icon_bounce:

😔

Edited by jetstream
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Franklin said:

Yes, you have to go through "Buyee" it's a great site and I've bought loads of stuff from Japan through them, fantastic service. You'll have to open a Buyee account to buy from Mercari though.

Never heard of Buyee or Mercari. I think I should get out more (of the bush)!

Buyee allow global buyers to bid and buy used stuff on the Japanese domestic auction and shopping sites. They charge a fee of 1000yen for the service (about £6.50) and then there's shipping which for an eyepiece would be about £25 with Air-Japan, I receive goods within a week or so of purchase and it's all checked and insured. Sometimes I wish I'd never heard of it as well as it's costing me a fortune😁.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Very interesting report 🙂

It seems a shame to me that the very best high power eyepieces (for the non-glasses wearer) seem to remain in production for such a short time. We have the ZAO's, the TMB Supermono's, the Pentax XO's and now (apparently) the Vixen HR's out of production (for quite a long time in some cases) so fast becoming "unobtainium" for most.

I think the Tak TOE's are still being produced but for how long I wonder ?

Maybe the market for such eyepieces is too small to support production more than a short time ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John said:

Maybe the market for such eyepieces is too small to support production more than a short time ?

I believe youre right John and with the high quality that widefields give the demand for these types of eyepieces is probably very small.  I use them to observe for a while after starting with a widefield and then finish with a widefield after the "critical " observing. Some of us use them a lot though and I hope more are made.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jetstream said:

One of the dumbest things Ive done is to assume the Vixen HR line would always be available. I should have bought them all.

Yep you want a full set, but not sure how much you would use them all…

A2BBADB3-695C-4533-9E6A-1F4BD42DBD63.thumb.jpeg.8dbfaa1f44d49a3bd1ac1654fbb881a2.jpeg

If you have the 3.4 mm and either of the 2.0mm or 2.4 mm I think you have most bases covered..

A powermate and a 10 mm UFF works very well and with sensible eye relief.

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, John said:

Very interesting report 🙂

It seems a shame to me that the very best high power eyepieces (for the non-glasses wearer) seem to remain in production for such a short time. We have the ZAO's, the TMB Supermono's, the Pentax XO's and now (apparently) the Vixen HR's out of production (for quite a long time in some cases) so fast becoming "unobtainium" for most.

I think the Tak TOE's are still being produced but for how long I wonder ?

Ricoh brought back the XW30 and 40 so if there was enough interest, perhaps the XOs could be revived? 🙏

Mark

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markse68 said:

Ricoh brought back the XW30 and 40 so if there was enough interest, perhaps the XOs could be revived? 🙏

Mark

I would be willing to sign a pre order list and then if a go pre pay for the XO. The 2.5XO again confirmed its merit last night. A 5mm XO would be perfect for so much.... planets,faint galaxies, and espc small but highly detailed planetary neb in the 24". The 24" really and truly excels on PN's. Oddly I like the 24" for bright objects the most...

On 26/03/2023 at 05:00, jetstream said:

The snap focus on both the 2.5XO and 2.4 HR was very fast, but there was a winner- the 2.5XO by a small but noticeable margin. 

Although I don't have a 2.4mm HR to do a comparison (only a 3.4mm HR), this does not surprise me Gerry. The 2.5 XO is a phenomenal eyepiece - cannot imagine anything surpassing it or even coming close for that matter. Love the views of Saturn through it.

• Like 1